What's new

Coffee: Intermediate to Advanced (1 Viewer)

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I have noticed one thing in the customer reviews. Several note that the build quality of the plastic parts seem cheep for such an expensive appliance. Sam or Ron, comments on that?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
There used to be a huge problem with one of the plastic parts, but they fixed that since my original Technivorm. The first one failed on me -- but that was my fault --- I never desalinated it (or whatever it is called). Now I am on top of that with my second one.

I wouldn't worry about the few plastic parts that are in there.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
There used to be a huge problem with one of the plastic parts, but they fixed that since my original Technivorm. The first one failed on me -- but that was my fault --- I never desalinated it (or whatever it is called). Now I am on top of that with my second one.

I wouldn't worry about the few plastic parts that are in there.
It’s called descaling. How often is it recommended for the Technivorm?

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I don't know officially. I buy a box of 100 filters. Every time I run out, I do the descaling.

I use this

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008A1B76C/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
My Breville’s manual asks for white vinegar. Fill the reservoir with 4 cups of vinegar and 8 of water. By cups I mean whatever a cup is on my machine. It has a descaling process that takes about 25’.

I only use it when guests are over. 5-6 times a year max. It's fine for that purpose.

I drink my espressos and lattes out of the Breville double boiler much more often
We’ll be using our Technivorm daily.

ChromeJob

Second Unit
Real Name
David S.
I've been so happy with coffee made in a Sowden Jakob 4-cup maker that after I bashed the too-fragile carafe too many times, I found a 2-cup maker on eBay for a fair price. As well as the Starbucks version of the 4-cup maker. It takes a little diligence to make it, but oh the smooth flavor.

Beware their carafes, though. SO easy to chip the spout. :-\

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Call me old fashioned. I like my Mokas just fine. '

Dm6gWNvXcAAJZaa.jpg:large

DN-cdYIU8AAVUH6.jpg:large

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
We bit the bullit and bought this technivorm: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DDRGVW7/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
And this grinder: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CSKGLMM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The grinder is excellent. The Technivorm makes good coffee but I’m not sure it makes better coffee than our Brevelle did. The Breville had a built in grinder and I thought I’d hate the extra step of grinding and putting in the ground beans into the Technivorm. The Breville also had a reservoir that held 12 cups but the user could select the number of cups to brew. So I only had to deal with water every other day. However, I’ve found I adapted quickly to anew routine and it’s not an issue.

As for the coffee. Apparently Technivorm doesn’t recommend metal filters but I like them. Not to save on paper, but for added flavor in the coffee. Paper filters out too much. There is a distinct improvement when using a metal filter, so that’s what we use. The only drawback is ther will be some sediment in the coffee, but it settles to the bottom quickly and the drinker will not end up consuming it.

I think the coffee is equal to the Breville, just not sure it’s better. There was some “dialing” in at first. Getting the correct coarseness (we tend to like more coarse) of ground and the amount of coffee with the amount of water. I think I’ve got it now.

I should experiment with some different coffees.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Okay fellas I need some suggestions I need a quality expresso whole bean me and the wife just got a Breville espresso maker and everything and I'm trying to not do Starbucks.
Got a friend that recommended Black Rifle AK-47 espresso blend

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Apropos to the title, I'll be moving from Intermediate to Advanced with my most recent purchase: a new grinder. It's on the way and should arrive by week's end. It's a Ceado E37S.

My current burr grinder is a Mazzer Mini-E Type A, which has been a workhorse for 5 years now. But it's always had a few things that bothered me, specifically:
  • 20 seconds to grind 18g
  • High grind retention: 3-5 grams accumulates around the burr chamber, which means it's stale unless you purge it out, which wastes a lot of coffee
  • Grinds aren't quite as fluffy and uniform as the best grinders on the market
  • High static effect on grinds make it a little messy
This year for my tax return reward, I decided to pull the trigger on the Ceado. There's a few reasons why, most of which address the concerns above.
  • 4 seconds to grind 18g
  • Low grind retention: less than a gram
  • Easy to disassemble to do a deep clean (3 screws) and doing so doesn't mess up the grind setting, you can just re-tighten the screws and start grinding (the Mazzer--and most other grinders--need to be redialed in)
  • If you look at the video (and other user videos) the grinds are uniform, fluffy, and are pretty static-free and generally fall right into the portafilter (go to the 1 minute mark in the above video--if I tried that on my Mazzer the grinds would spray all over the counter, so I use a dosing funnel to contain it)
The Ceado has 83mm burrs vs. the 64mm on the Mazzer, which accounts for both the increase in grind speed as well as the uniformity of the grind. 400W motor on Ceado vs. 250W on the Mazzer.

The baristas I've befriended at a local third wave coffee shop (which shall remain anonymous so they don't get in trouble) saved 5 lbs of beans that had aged out (they like to use them within a few days of roast date) for me so I can season the burrs once the Ceado arrives. I'll post pics and maybe a video once I've seasoned the burrs and dialed in the grind.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks