What's new

Coen Brothers Collection: 10/18 (1 Viewer)

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
This is via Digital Bits:

Sounds like a great deal, especially with the usual Amazon 30% off.

Haden

Supporting Actor
Still waiting for that rumored special edition of Raising Arizona that was supposed to be out like 2-3 years ago...

Micah Cohen

Screenwriter
This makes me so angry. WHAT IS THE POINT if you're going to keep leaving out HUDSUCKER PROXY and RAISING ARIZONA? WHAT IS THE @#$%X& POINT?! ARRRRRRGG! :angry:

INTOLERABLE CRUELTY?! For goodness sake, throw a little restoration money at RAISING ARIZONA, will you please? Why is it like no one is thinking clearly at the studios?

MC

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member

Yeah, if you want further editions of any Coen movies, you should bug the following studios:

Fox:
Raising Arizona
Miller's Crossing
Barton Fink

Warner Bros:
The Hudsucker Proxy

MGM:
Fargo

Touchstone (Disney):
O Brother Where Art Thou?
The Ladykillers

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale

I wonder what that means.
Wait! I remember...it means they threw away the original film.

:angry:

Phil.H

Auditioning
It means that the collection will include the previously released versions of Blood Simple, Intolerable Cruelty and The Man Who Wasn't There.

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale

That would make the box set a little busy with Blood Simple variations.
Turning to the IMDB we find:

[c]Alternate Versions for
Blood Simple. (1984)[/c]

* When Blood Simple was first released, two quotes appeared over black, before the opening credits. One was from Dashiell Hammet explaining what Blood Simple meant and the second was from Alfred Hitchcock about how difficult it really would be to kill a man.

* A restored version of Blood Simple, with stereo soundtrack premiered at the Austin Film festival, 3 October 1998.

* In the original theatrical version, as well as the version shown on TV, the Four Tops song "It's the Same Old Song" is played on the jukebox and over the end credits. In the video version it is "I'm a Believer" by Neil Diamond.

And that entry is far from comprehensive, but this is a subject that has been addressed before at HTF....by myself and a few others.
Mostly I find that if you had watched the theatrical release of the film a few dozen times you would miss it, if you had not.....well then you literally did not know what you were missing

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member

Yeah, I completely agree and that's why I think "Blood Simple" is probably the best director's cut of all time.

Phil.H

Auditioning
My point was that the titles other than Big Lebowski were just the same versions as previously released on DVD. I wasn't trying to open a can of worms on the "director's cut" of Blood Simple. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks