What's new

Code Red DVD (distributor of cult, horror and obscure films) (1 Viewer)

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
I'm possibly interested in Haunted as well (haven't got Rituals yet). This is what I like about Code Red, Scorpion Releasing, Severin, Shout! Factory and Synapse, releasing 'lost', obscure, hard to find and never released on DVD horror titles (especially slashers). I do like the grindhouse look of some of the titles released by them (especially Code Red).

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Code Red posted a new blog news article on their website earlier this week (Tuesday 31st May), announcing a series of horror/exploitation DVD titles which will be released from September this year, under the name "Maria's "B" Movie Mayhem". Some of the films are previously OOP titles and some are new to DVD.

It's very similar to Scorpion Releasing's new horror film range which is starting in September as well. Of the titles announced (mentioned in the blog news article), I'm interested in Scream (1981), The Curious Case of the Campus Corpse (1977), and Vampire at Midnight (1988).

I realise it's being done to help sales of the titles, but will there be a reversible sleeve like for Scorpion Releasing's titles (without the banner at the top)?

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Haven't read about this Code Red release on their website, a double feature Cut-Throats Nine (aka Bronson's Revenge (1972) and Joshua (1976). There's a DVD pre-order listing on Amazon.com with a release date of Tuesday 16th August, 2011.

Also DVD pre-order listings on Amazon.com for:

Blade (1973) and Ring of Death (1969) - release date, Tuesday 23rd August, 2011 (I'm assuming Ring of Death is the Franco Nero film. It and Detective Belli are alternative titles for Un Detective)

Godfather Squad (1974) and Bruce's Last Battle - release date, Tuesday 23rd August, 2011
Stoney (aka Surabaya Conspiracy) (1969) and The Killer Likes Candy (1968) - release date, Tuesday 16th August, 2011 (source of the film title The Killer Likes Candy is it's IMDb 'Also Known As' page).

Am interested in Blade/Ring of Death. The plots sound good. Actor John Marley (who starred in Blade) played a memorable guest star role in the Hawaii Five-O episode "The Big Kahuna", and Franco Nero (who stars in Ring of Death) is a reliable actor.

bgart13

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ben
THE WITCHMAKER looks good, glad I ordered it from a store that ships early.
vlcsnap2011062417h08m23.png

vlcsnap2011062417h08m45.png

vlcsnap2011062417h15m41.png

vlcsnap2011062417h17m35.png

vlcsnap2011062417h17m53.png

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Suggestions for release by Code Red:

Gemini Affair (1975) - not sure who owns the rights. The director Matt Cimber? (On the film's IMDb company credits page it has Matt Cimber Productions under the 'Production Companies' heading)

The Name of the Game is...Kill (1968) - same as above, not sure who owns the rights.

Camps

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tom
Wow. "Witchmaker" looks great. Big improvement over the Sinister Cinema version I have. Thanks for the screencaps, bgart!

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
I signed up at Import CDs because I heard they were shipping copies out early but they haven't shipped my copy yet. I guess you have to be a long-time member to get it early. Looking forward to this.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Code Red posted a new blog article via their website yesterday, about a re-release of the film Stanley (1972) (previously released by BCI). It includes front cover artwork for the title.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
I love Code Red but I really wish they would stop teasing us with that Family Honor trailer that appears at the beginning of every release. Looks like an awesome movie but it's going to feel like I've already seen it by the time the DVD finally shows up, based on the number of times I've seen that clip. Speaking of previews, I love them as much as anyone here but I just wish they would include a list of them on a menu and let us choose which ones we want to watch, instead of giving us a montage of old trailers we've seen countless times all lumped together.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Good suggestion (a gallery of trailers). I'm still waiting to see what's happened with Changes (1969). Now on the DVD Beaver review for Scorpion Releasing's release of Quest for Love, it states there's a trailer for Changes in the montage of trailers for upcoming titles from Scorpion. Not on my copy of the title. Not being released by Scorpion? It seems to be stuck in limbo at the moment, and maybe it's going to be released by Code Red at some point?

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
A new blog post was posted on Code Red's news page last Friday (8th July), titled 'Code Red titles stolen by overseas DVD labels':

We at Code Red DVD try hard to release lost classics and restore them for the dvd market. Lately, several of our titles are showing up overseas and the majority are not authorized. One French dvd label stole two of our masters and are making a hefly profit while Code Red still in the red ink on many of our titles. Germany has also been on the bandwagon to steal our masters and also our extras. The UK, Italy and Australia have been farming off us, also. If this continues, there is no point of remastering anything if all the profit goes to the overseas thieves. If you live overseas and see a title Code Red released, feel free to contact us and we can let you know if it is legit or some rich snobby overseas company stealing and pissing on the mission that we set out to keep these film alive. You have to realize that it's impossible to keep these films going when someone is making a buck on your work before you break even. Post any comments on these releases and we will let you know if they are legit or stolen.

Quite alarming this is.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
WaveCrest said:
A new blog post was posted on Code Red's news page last Friday (8th July), titled 'Code Red titles stolen by overseas DVD labels':

Quite alarming this is.
But the question is - are those overseas titles LICENCED by the rights holders?
If so, then CODE RED should have an issue with the rights holders as well. A rights holder should protect it's licensors from "ripping off" each others restoration work.
Did these companies approach CODE RED to use their elements and didn't want to pay CODE RED a fair fee to use the restored masters? So they just went and "stole" CODE RED's transfers and content?
At the end of the day who OWNS the restored masters, CODE RED or the rights holders?
Is this a legal issue,or a moral issue? or both?

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Emailed Code Red yesterday about the progress on Ghostkeeper (1986):

Will Ghostkeeper be coming out on DVD for Halloween this year? Been looking forward to seeing this since reading the blog post on Code Red's website.

Their reply yesterday:

It missed the halloween street date. one of the interview is not done, so it'll take time.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
This is odd. Received my copy of Nightmare (1981) in the post, but the second disc dosen't have a printed image on it. Has anyone else got this?

bgart13

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ben
That's how it's supposed to be. It's sort of in response to the kind of junk folks on a horror forum post about. It's not a DVD-r, just made to look that way.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Well that explains things. It comes as a pleasant surprise.

You expect both discs to have a printed image, so the print on disc 2 was a surprise. I could see the felt-tip pen writing was a print. I'm sure it's been done before on another title. If not, it must have been a dream into the future.

Haven't tested my copy of Nightmare out yet, but the artwork is great stuff.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
I never heard of Cut Throats 9 but after reading that review I can't wait to get my hands on it. What a storyline! I hope the filmmakers spent some money on it so it doesn't look like a bargain bin production.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks