Code-free DVD players?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Patrick Shane, Jan 29, 2003.

1. Patrick Shane

Patrick Shane Auditioning

Hello all, this is my first post. I got a Sony Progressive-Scan DVD Player model: DVP-NS715P for Christmas. Since Raging Bull is OOP in America, I wanted to buy the 20th Anniversary Edition which is a region 2 DVD. I'm not sure if my DVD player is code-free, I have read one place that it is, and another place said that if it was bought from a store it will not be code-free. Can someone please tell me if this is a code-free DVD player, and if not, could I get a converter of some sort, or just another DVD player for cheap? Also, is anything else required to play other region DVDs? Thanks in advance.

2. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

If you live in the US it's definately not region free.

Which region 2 is it out in? If it's Japan you'll be alright with a standard chip, but if it's the UK you need a converting player

If you want a player that converts PAL decently, count on around $250

If you want a piece of junk, you can buy a cheap chinese player for about $75 on average at Best Buy or somewhere

3. Patrick Shane

Thanks for the info, and The DVD is UK region 2. So the only thing I could do then is pay over $200 to buy a decent code-free DVD player? And after that do I need anything else?

4. Simon Basso

Simon Basso Stunt Coordinator

I thought Raging Bull was getting a special edition this year anyway? Even if it's not, the UK R2, which I have, isn't much to write home about frankly, non anamorphic, not especially good extras. Not worth paying an extra $200 to see.

5. Patrick Shane

I've been looking for any info on a special edition Raging Bull. Can anyone post anything about it if they know please?

6. Alex Bradbury

Do most American TVs not support PAL then? Most fairly new TVs over here in the UK support NTSC, and oldfer ones PAL 60, which all DVD players I've seen can convert NTSC too. I guess fyou Region 1 people don't import region 2 very much [​IMG]

7. Jeff Kleist

virtually 0 US TVs support PAL. There are a few tube HDTVs with dual tuners and projectors, but that's it.

People in America don't import ANYTHING as a rule. Most people take the attitude that if it's worth watching, they'll remake or dub it, and/or they don't care about better quality releases.

8. Alex Bradbury

Well, wherever possible I'd normally prefer a region 2 PAL release, but if it's probably not being released over here in the near future I have no choice. So I guess in a way I'm in a better situation here in the UK. My DVDs may cost more on average than the American releases, but at least most people (with a region-free or code hackable dvd player) can import DVDs from anywhere in the world.

9. Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov Cinematographer

10. Rich Tysinger

Yikes, I ordered a Cyberhome 402 a few days ago because I didn't need progressive scan and it was the only Cyberhome model then available from Bestbuy.com. Is the PAL to NTSC conversion on the 402 really bad? I'm only going to be buying multi-region discs occasionally, mostly the Tartan Ingmar Bergman stuff in Region 2...

11. Patrick Shane

Thanks for the information everyone, the only thing I need to know now is if you need a special kind of T.V. to connect the DVD player to. Thanks.

12. Jeff Kleist

not if you get a PAL converting player

13. Steve_Ch

Steve_Ch Supporting Actor

Rich, don't be despair (yet [​IMG] ), I "think" the 402 also do PAL-NTSC conversion, there's some discussion over at www.nerd-out.com, go to the Cyberhome section and see what's up.

14. Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov Cinematographer

15. Larry Bevil

Larry Bevil Second Unit

I have the JVC 502SL dvd player as my primary "codefree" unit. I also have the Cyber Home 500 as a secondary player that I use to record from. I've only used the Cyber Home a few times, but so far, it works great on R-4 PAL dvd's. A question - I bought my JVC 502SL from HKFlix. It works great. I've noticed that another company, I believe it is 220 electronics.com, has that model for quite a bit less. Does anybody have experience with 220 electronics?

16. Richard Q

Richard Q Auditioning

17. Keith Smith

Keith Smith Extra

I've had the CyberHome 500 for a couple of weeks,now. I did the bios upgrade on my November build player. On my Pioneer Elite 710HD, the video quality was less than I'm accustomed to seeing with my Malata 996. Edges were not as smooth, and it just didn't look as good. Also, I found it most uncomfortable to not be able to do the x-y scaling. I watched a bunch of my favorite PAL discs, and I felt like I wasn't seeing the whole picture. On a larger screen, the x-y scaling makes a major difference; I would rate it a must have.

Fortunately, I have a second HD set with a smaller screen. On it, these concerns which are so important to me on my large set, do not bother me much. Thus, that's where the CyberHome will stay.

18. David Lawson

David Lawson Screenwriter

David Lawson
    Keith, could any of that be attributed to the progressive scan problems that the CyberHome has? The Nerd-Out.com forum has several threads devoted to it, and it seems that different televisions have different problems with it. CyberHome has acknowledged the problem, and will fix it if you contact them for a RMA.

As for "not seeing the whole picture", the CyberHome site says:

"PAL discs will play on NTSC TVs, but some of the picture will be cut off, due to the higher resolution of PAL discs. Conversely, using an NTSC disc with a PAL TV will result in space being added on the sides of the screen."

The English, for once, is correct, but I don't know if the information is. [​IMG]

Personally, I don't have any specific complaints about how PAL discs look on my 32" tube, but I'm clearly not putting the CyberHome to the test with my current equipment. The player does tend to oversaturate reds, but it's nothing Video Essentials couldn't cure.

19. Keith Smith

Keith Smith Extra

On the two HD sets on which I viewed my CyberHome 500, I saw no evidence of the progressive scan problems reported by others.

My observation was that on my large screen set, the Pioneer Elite 710HD, the video quality of the Cyberhome was not nearly as good as what I'm accustomed to seeing from my Malata N996 players. Also, not having the picture fit my screen in the way I'm accustomed to seeing bothered me greatly.

But, I can tolerate the Cyberhome on a smaller screen.

Keith Smith

20. Al Shing

Al Shing Stunt Coordinator

I also think the Cyberhome 500 seems blurry on some material compared to my Pioneer DVL-909. Some of the shots on the Bond concert DVD appear blurry, but the same shot on the Pioneer is sharp. This is on a 48 inch widescreen HDTV monitor.

It is interesting that using the Sound & Vision Disk, I get a Sharpness setting of -30 on a scale of -30 to +30 for the Pioneer, but the Cyberhome wants a -9. Increasing the sharpness setting does not improve the Bond disk appreciably on the Cyberhome.

On movies shot on film, the picture is good to excellent on the Cyberhome. However, I've only watched a couple of movies on it so far, and a variety of concert and music vids, the primary material I plan to use it for.

I expect I'll use the Cyberhome for non-Region 1 material and for movies in DTS, while the Pioneer remains king for everything else.