Code for wires

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Rick Thoms, Mar 13, 2005.

1. Rick Thoms

Rick Thoms Agent

I'm running all my wires to the back of my room through the outside wall. I found out I need CL-2 rated speaker wires.I'm also running a Bluejeans component and cablewholesale S-video through too? Are they going to be alright?thanks

2. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

Are you getting your work inspected? A lot of inspectors want to see cable that is specifically marked for in-wall installation.

3. Adam Gregorich

Owner

Adam
    Rick-
    CL-2 and CL-3 cable is a specification that deals with with jacket flammability. Inspectors (rightfully so) don't want cable strung through your walls that could spread an existing fire from one part of the house to another. If the job is not being inspected, and the non CL rated cables are in the same area of the house you should be ok. You could always use RG-6 cable instead of the Blue Jeans if you are really concerned. I find that I often have to go back to a job after the inspector leaves to run a HDMI cable in the wall to a plasma location, since I haven't found one with a CL rated jacket yet.

4. Rick Thoms

Rick Thoms Agent

No Inspector. It's actually all drywalled.The wall steps in about 4' up so I'm just going to build a little wall 3/12' and continue it all the way up and thats where I'm going to run wires to the back