What's new

CODA (2021) (1 Viewer)

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
I posted on my Facebook page expressing joy over CODA's win. One friend is unhappy she can't watch the film easily. I pointed out she can download the Apple TV app on her Roku and get a 7-day free trial for Apple TV+. Then, only $4.99/mo. Way cheaper than a single movie ticket.

Congrats to Apple, for all of CODA's wins as well as Ted Lasso's wins.

Now, cue the people that won't subscribe because they think Apple is evil.

Mark

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
What are the chances this ever gets a Blu-ray release?

Asking for a friend whose website reviews all the Best Picture winners - he'd hate to have a permanent gap! :cool:

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Finally watched CODA this morning after last night's Oscar win. Although I don't think it makes my top ten list for 2021, I did like it and I did get emotional in a few places. Good movie.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
What are the chances this ever gets a Blu-ray release?

Asking for a friend whose website reviews all the Best Picture winners - he'd hate to have a permanent gap! :cool:
See my post immediately above yours and tell friend he can watch it if he wants to.

Having films available on digital streaming and NOT available on shiny disc is only going to get more common. Your friend needs to start accepting that now if he wants to continue to keep his Best Picture website updated into the future. The odds are only getting higher that next year's Best Picture winner will be from Apple, Netflix, Amazon or ?

Mark

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
See my post immediately above yours and tell friend he can watch it if he wants to.

Having films available on digital streaming and NOT available on shiny disc is only going to get more common. Your friend needs to start accepting that now if he wants to continue to keep his Best Picture website updated into the future. The odds are only getting higher that next year's Best Picture winner will be from Apple, Netflix, Amazon or ?

Mark
So, every time you want to rewatch it, you will need to pay another $4.99 (or $9.99, or $14.99, or $19.99 - hello Netfix model).

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
So, every time you want to rewatch it, you will need to pay another $4.99 (or $9.99, or $14.99, or $19.99 - hello Netfix model).

Well, I think the idea the companies want us to accept is you pay $4.99/mo (or $9.99 or $14.99...) FOREVER! :)

From a carbon footprint point of view, manufacturing plastic discs and cases to put them in is not exactly a carbon-neutral way to go. Now, I realize the energy and products that are needed to make digital streaming work aren't carbon-neutral either. But society is moving away from shiny discs.

Me, I greatly slowed down my collecting of shiny discs because I've just plum run out of room. I have shiny discs in drawers in a guest bedroom and in storage containers under the guest bedroom bed. Not exactly "convenient". But pulling them up on my Apple TV 4K sure is convenient!

Ten years from now, I bet less than half of all new movies will be released on shiny discs. Heck, it might not even take 10 years.

Mark

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

Mark

Friend only reviews discs. Friend will leave a gap if "CODA" never makes a disc.

I'm very close to this friend and know he won't change his mind! :D

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
Friend only reviews discs. Friend will leave a gap if "CODA" never makes a disc.

I'm very close to this friend and know he won't change his mind! :D

His call, of course. But I predict, eventually, he'll have no choice but to change his discs-only policy or simply stop updating the blog.

Mark

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
It's getting a fairly good sized release:

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
His call, of course. But I predict, eventually, he'll have no choice but to change his discs-only policy or simply stop updating the blog.

You do understand the "friend" is me, don't you? 🤨

I'm not too concerned that I'll have to abandon my website anytime soon, as the death of physical media doesn't seem imminent.

Might I have to stop updating the Oscars page? Perhaps.

If so... oh well. It's just a "special page" to spotlight those reviews. Not the end of the world if it misses one.

It's a website devoted to the review of physical discs. It'd look weirder for me to simply review a movie on its own without the PQ/SQ/extras discussion than it would for me to simply leave that review space on the Oscars page as "TBD" or whatever.

Anyway, I hope "CODA" makes it to a disc at some point. If not... life marches on.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
@Colin Jacobson
My guess is that with Apple giving it a limited theatrical release at some point a disc will come out. MY thinking (and I'm saying this as a consumer, not an Apple exec) is a physical release will get MORE viewers which in turn could help generate more Apple+ subscribers. Heck, throw in a free 30 day trial with the disc!

cinemel1

Second Unit
Real Name
Mel Matsil

Mark
I”ll be disappointed if there isn’t a disc release of CODA. I’ve been collecting all of the Oscar-winning Best Pictures from the days of laserdiscs. Of course, a 4K disc would be nice, but I had to be satisfied with a blu-ray of Nomadland. There are just a few Best Picture winners not on blu-ray. Around the World in 80 Days would be nice, even better in 4K from a wonderful Todd A-O source.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
@Colin Jacobson
My guess is that with Apple giving it a limited theatrical release at some point a disc will come out. MY thinking (and I'm saying this as a consumer, not an Apple exec) is a physical release will get MORE viewers which in turn could help generate more Apple+ subscribers. Heck, throw in a free 30 day trial with the disc!

Have any Apple streaming movies hit physical disc?

I know some from other services have but unsure about Apple.

I know that when I saw "Late Night" theatrically in 2019 - an Amazon Prime streamer - I wrote up my review then and there so it'd be ready to go when a Blu-ray came out.

Still waiting! :(

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Have any Apple streaming movies hit physical disc?
I own the Blu of "On the Rocks" with Bill Murray and Rashida Jones. I believe that was an Apple TV original.

I'm in this thread today because I've got the same question as Colin: Is there gonna be a disc release? I'm straight up asking for me because I don't have many friends! :D And I want the disc without having to sign up for a streaming service I don't want to keep.

I would suspect they'd release a disc of a BP winner across all the current formats to capitalize on the property. But I'm also not very smart about these things (which might be a reason I have a short list of friends!). :laugh:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I don’t think anyone can truly answer that with any kind of certainty. It’s basically an unprecedented situation.

We know, for instance, that Apple paid $25 million for the streaming rights at Sundance. We don’t know if that was for a fixed period or in perpetuity, and whether the contracts either required Apple to issue a physical disc or allowed the producers the option of shopping those rights anywhere. If Apple had financed the production themselves, there would be more clarity on that point.

For the Greyhound film with Tom Hanks, we know that Apple signed a deal with Sony (the studio that made it) worth about $200 million in exchange for exclusive rights to the film for a ten year period. So I would not expect a disc for that.

Disc sales are marginal today compared to streaming revenue and audience size. It would not be unreasonable for Apple to conclude that the value of maintaining a high profile exclusive outweighs the minimal gains from selling several hundred to several thousand copies on disc. The barrier to entry to view the film on Apple+ is relatively low. Anyone who purchases an Apple device this year gets several months of free membership. Separate from that, anyone can get a free 7 day trial of the service, which also works on multiple non-Apple devices. Should a potential viewer have exhausted their free trial already, the membership is $4.99 a month with no obligation to remain a member for any fixed time. $4.99 is cheaper than a ticket to a movie theater and cheaper than renting a new release movie from any of the digital storefronts.

I understand that might not square with every unique individual’s personal collecting preferences, but the industry isn’t driven by individual collectors. At a certain point, all of us will be faced with the choice of whether it’s more important to physically possess an object or whether it’s more important to view the content. For people who find it important to hold on to the former at the expense of the latter, unfortunately that’s just the way the world works.

There are plenty of films and shows I like that aren’t available in my preferred format. It’s nothing new.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks