What's new

Cocoa Beach bums freaked me out. (1 Viewer)

Dan_J_H.

Stunt Coordinator
One year ago, I visited Cocoa Beach FL for a few days (alone). While visiting a mostly deserted area of the beach between two highrise hotels, A drunk bum with one eye came up to me and was talking nonsense. I was quite frightened because I had over 1K of camera equipment with me. I pretended to go along with his stupid conversation while I got in my rental car and took off with my heart almost pounding out of my chest! Being from Michigan, I'm not used to all the bums that are in these warm weather climates.

I would like to hear from anyone who lives in Fl about their feelings on the beach bums. Are they usually harmless? My encounter with this bum has made me really want to be more careful where I visit. After that, I only went to the Cocoa Beach Pier, where lots of people were.

I went on my first Carribean cruise last August and loved it! Thanks to Hurricane Katrina, we had an extra free day at sea.

Micah Cohen

Screenwriter
Harmless?

This thread could quickly go south, speaking of Florida.

The homeless are real problem here in Baltimore City...

Ah, I just wrote a whole long thing on the homeless of Baltimore City, but I deleted it. There is no way this thread can survive. How can you say anything about this without being offensive and political?

My advice is merely to keep your distance.

I want a bumper sticker that says: "Eat the homeless."

MC

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Dan,
We were in Cocoa about 2 years ago and didn't encounter them but we will be there next month and might. Usually when I run into them I just let them blab and walk away. They usually get the hint.

FWIW, we are taking the same cruise you did. Cruising is a blast. This is our 3rd one.

Lynda-Marie

Supporting Actor
I worked graveyard shift for 3 1/2 years, which included my having to take a bus ride AFTER DARK in downtown Seattle, where we have a lot of "interesting characters".

My tactic to keep them at a distance? I talked to myself. Even the hardcore crazies left me alone. I would repeat funny lines from a favorite movie in a voice that was just above a mumble, and then start giggling like mad, remembering the delivery the performer used in the movie.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
^nice :laugh:

One cool thing to do is when a "down on his/her luck" person comes up and is about to ask you for money, you immediately ask for a quarter first. Every time I've seen it done the beggar gets dumbfounded.

I've dealt with bums in lots of major US cities and the guys from Nashville are extremely skilled at getting the cash. Watch out!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks