What's new

Coco (2017) (1 Viewer)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
My IMAX (via AMC) is opening Coco on Friday. It will have the first three showtimes of the day, banishing Justice League to the evening times. I think the original plan was for Justice League to keep those screens locked up until Last Jedi, so this must be a reflection of Justice League's underperformance as vs. Coco's success.

It's a beautiful film, and I think it would be a spectacle in IMAX. But I find I don't really care about this. I'm normally an IMAX junkie, but I can't muster the desire to see the film again, which I didn't hate but also decidedly did not love, just in order to do it in the IMAX format.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
ABC announced today that Olaf's Frozen Adventure will be airing on Thursday, December 14 at 8/7c.

If you couple this with the fact that Disney's original press release announcing that it would screen with Coco said it would do so for a limited time, I think it is pretty clear that the intention was always to do a 2-week run, pull it and then let ABC have it as the half-hour TV special it was originally intended as in the first place. This no longer seems like a reaction to bad buzz from putting it with Coco, and seems more like an intentional design to allow it to screen in theaters but still make it to ABC's air this season.

I actually really loved the short and do not have any of the complaints about it that other people have, so I will be happy to see it again on TV (albeit via DVR, since I'll be at The Last Jedi when it airs live.)

I also think that perhaps when people see it on TV as a half-hour special, instead of as a 21-minute delay to the start of Coco which makes an entire theatrical outing to a movie with kids two and a half hours long, perhaps they will soften and start to enjoy it more.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
ABC announced today that Olaf's Frozen Adventure will be airing on Thursday, December 14 at 8/7c.

If you couple this with the fact that Disney's original press release announcing that it would screen with Coco said it would do so for a limited time, I think it is pretty clear that the intention was always to do a 2-week run, pull it and then let ABC have it as the half-hour TV special it was originally intended as in the first place. This no longer seems like a reaction to bad buzz from putting it with Coco, and seems more like an intentional design to allow it to screen in theaters but still make it to ABC's air this season.

I actually really loved the short and do not have any of the complaints about it that other people have, so I will be happy to see it again on TV (albeit via DVR, since I'll be at The Last Jedi when it airs live.)

I also think that perhaps when people see it on TV as a half-hour special, instead of as a 21-minute delay to the start of Coco which makes an entire theatrical outing to a movie with kids two and a half hours long, perhaps they will soften and start to enjoy it more.

I really think it's the length of "Frozen" that caused the "uproar". On its own, it's perfectly innocuous, but when you expect a 7-minute short that runs 3 times as long, it's a problem...

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I really think it's the length of "Frozen" that caused the "uproar". On its own, it's perfectly innocuous, but when you expect a 7-minute short that runs 3 times as long, it's a problem...
I saw Coco after a couple days after it opened so I read about the hubbub over the short and knew what I was getting into and had no problem with it or the running time.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
It wasn't the running time that I had a problem with. It was that such high production values were wasted on a terrible Christmas story and mediocre songs.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Coco - a family film that is a film for the family revolving around the Day of the Dead, solidly executed by Pixar.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Just finished watching it on Netflix as part of my family's Father's Day celebrations.

It took a lot longer to suck me in than most Pixar movies, but it was gorgeous to look at from beginning to end. The design and execution of the afterlife took my breath away at times.

I do want to add: the final act of this film is maybe the most emotional I've ever seen a Pixar film, and that says a lot. This film deals with some really, really difficult subject matter in the third act; not just life/death stuff, but also the loss of who we are as a person (our memory as we age); the things we desire, marriage, purpose, duty, responsibility, honor, and a lot of existential philosophical questions.
By the time the big twist came, the movie had me hook, line, and sinker. The resolution was beautiful and poetic. The outcome feels inevitable in the best way.

The film's message that "your ultimate worth is in how big your family is and how much they remember you after you die" was ultimately a turn off to me, and diminished my enjoyment.
I wouldn't summarize the message of the film in that way at all. Miguel's journey was to learn the value of family, and the family's journey was to learn the value of music. Those two storylines came together beautifully at the climax of the movie.

Ernesto was desperate to be remembered and immortalized, and the movie didn't support that stance at all.

Héctor, by contrast, was desperate to be remembered by one person and one person only: his daughter. He wanted to cross over because he was snatched quite suddenly from her life and things in that relationship were unresolved.

Whether you have a big family or little family, the message I took away is to act like family. You should support them, and they should support you.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Apparently these Jeopardy contestants aren't Pixar fans.

Coco made $252 million (adjusted for inflation as of today) domestically and sold another $85 million in discs. https://www.the-numbers.com/movie/Coco-(2017)#tab=summary

So it is certainly a well-known movie and not a particularly deep cut, especially for a final clue. But I guess these three didn't see it.

Last edited:

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I saw Coco, but don’t remember a dog from the movie. :)

Doesn’t $252M domestic (inflation adjusted) show that Coco isn’t a well known movie? That’s barely break even for a Pixar movie?

I guess that’s why it’s a Final Jeopardy: they’re not going to ask something simple like the name of Thor’s brother from a set if $1B films.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Pixar has had hit films that were larger than Coco, but I don't think that means Coco wasn't one or that it wasn't widely seen. At $796 million unadjusted worldwide on a $175 million budget, it clearly made money. Plus that's before you add in the disc sales, soundtrack sales, toy sales, and all the other assorted merchandise which brought in additional revenue for the studio. Coco also won two Oscars.

Funnily enough, Coco is not one of my favorite Pixar films and not one I rewatch much. But I still knew Dante was from it. I guess Final Jeopardy is always easy if you know it and difficult if you don't. To be completely fair to the contestants, they did get a lot of clues in the other rounds that I wouldn't have. But that felt to me like a clue that would have gone in one of the first two rounds, not a final.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks