What's new

Cocktails (1 Viewer)

Yousaf

Second Unit
I'm too lazy to make cocktails, and it's a bit difficult to find something I really like because I'm not too fond of the taste of alcohol and if something tastes good but has alcohol in it I'm turned off to it (the alcohol has ruined the otherwise good taste). As a result, I just stick a bottle of Grey Goose or Chopin vodka in the freezer (Belvedere is ok but I prefer the other two) for a bit then pour a glass full with an ice cube or two.

Chuck Mullen

Stunt Coordinator
Beefeater gin & tonic. I do like Saphire but I think it's a little $$ for "everyday" use. As far as Tanquerey goes I just prefer the Beefeater, believe it or not.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Exactly the point: a good martini has the least amount of water possible..

There is never enough vermouth in my martinis to worry too seriously about bruising. :D

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

Me too! I sometimes ask the bartender to just wave the open vermouth bottle over the glass. When making my own, I swirl the vermouth around and then dump it out. You can still taste the vermouth, but you wouldn't know it unless looking for it.

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter

That's called an "extra dry" martini :)

There is a bar (I believe in NYC) that has custom-made "martini-stirring" spoons made. Apparently they tend to mix the vermouth and gin without disrupting the ice too much...

Then again, these are the same folks that firmly believe optical is better than coax for a digital signal (or vice versa).

Jim Sentry

Stunt Coordinator
A great substitute for whiskeys, scotches, rum is Southern Comfort. Goes down real smooth even straight up. Watch that 100 proof stuff though.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

That's actually because of the sugar content, not becasue of any smoothness of the actual whiskey. Sweetness tends to mask the harshness of the alcohol, which is why there are so many sweet tasting froo-froo drinks made for girls. The sugar is also what will give you an adverse effect after a few (vomiting and/or hangover). For true smoothness that is due to quality, not additives, try Grey Goose or Chopin (vodkas), Bombay Saphire (gin) or any good quality single malt scotch whisky. Makers Mark is a good (not great) smooth bourbon.

Kevin Hewell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Hewell
Grey Goose:emoji_thumbsup: is my poison of choice. I think it's the best vodka around unless you want to pay through the nose for a really expensive brand.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
How else would you make one? ;)

This is the technique often used (I often see vermouth added to the ice, then quickly swirled and poured out—then the gin) in upscale bars. If you start with cold ingredients, you can achieve making a cold martini with very minimal water.

I normally use Bombay Sapphire, but I have a very knowledgeable friend who thinks that it is much too floral and loves Gorden's.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
Ahh, Lew is a gin man. Me I'm vodka only. Though I have tried most gins, I had a very, very bad experience with it early in my quaffing career and the taste brings it back immediately. Too bad, because I actually like gin and tonic but a gin martini makes me "reflect" way too much.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Ah yes Jeff. When I lived in Singapore the drink of choice (at least among my friends from the former Empire) was a G&T.

We all kept a bottle of gin in the refrigerator, along with the tonic, in order to make a cold G&T instantly. The prefect drink in a constant 95%+ humidity climate.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks