What's new

Cobra Kai (1 Viewer)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
My wife had never seen The Karate Kid, so we watched it last night. Cobra Kai is so different in tone from the films, I can't help seeing it as a kind of parody now.
I think of it as embracing and having fun with the campier aspects of the movies. Personally, I think it's just the right tone for this series. It's not too serious but it's also clear that the people involved love the original movies.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Been wondering if they did a series or movie about a young Miyagi and his time learning karate and fighting in the war would be any good.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Been wondering if they did a series or movie about a young Miyagi and his time learning karate and fighting in the war would be any good.
I think if you take too much of the mystery away from Mr. Miyagi, the character loses too much of his power. Either you have to keep coming up with really compelling experiences for him, or you risk making him seem mundane.

Seeing him through Daniel's (and later Julie Pierce's) eyes gave him a certain allure fueled by childlike wonder. This idea that the building maintenance guy could secretly be this stoic warrior who experienced love and loss and courage and tragedy on an epic canvas across three continents may be more powerful than actually seeing it play out in the present tense.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I think that's fair; sometimes you have to "let the mystery be." I saw a similar sentiment on Reddit, and one of the comments states it would be a way to get a movie made about the 442nd.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Prequels are never worth it and killing the mystery of a character is always detrimental.

Darth Vader is really a whiny little shit who misses his mommy and has anger issues. Wolverine is a prissy little sickly rich boy. We didn't need either of those tacked on retcons and they didn't help or enrich the characters at all.

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Ive heard filming will wrap around the 15th of April 2021 for Season 4. Robert Mark Kamen who wrote the original Karate kid movies also stated in multiple interviews that everyone's favorite toxic waste Sensei Terry Silver will Reappear. I hope that is true. If so, it gives me hope that Chad McQueen(Dutch) could be convinced by the show's creators to make an appearance.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I think this is where the series will probably lose me, since I don't have the Karate Kid lore in my head / heart past the second film.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
We binged all three seasons last month. Wow! Cobra Kai is up there with GLOW, an incredibly engaging, really tight, and emerging new half-hour drama format. I really loved it.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I think this is where the series will probably lose me, since I don't have the Karate Kid lore in my head / heart past the second film.
The Karate Kid Part III was pretty terrible, but Terry Silver is widely considered to be the best part of it. The character was created late in the game to accommodate Martin Kove when he had a scheduling conflict that significantly reduced his availability.

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The Karate Kid Part III was pretty terrible, but Terry Silver is widely considered to be the best part of it. The character was created late in the game to accommodate Martin Kove when he had a scheduling conflict that significantly reduced his availability.
This is awesome.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
He's the founder of Cobra Kai, Kreese's buddy from Vietnam, and the bad guy from Part III. You're caught up. :)

Ha!

But it's not so much about being caught up as having any nostalgia about that film. For a series that trades heavily on fan nostalgia, it doesn't seem like they'll have much to barter with. But I'll still check it out.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks