What's new

Cobra Kai (1 Viewer)

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Also, I can't help kind of laughing at Kove as Kreese. It's great he's still around to play the role, but he seems wobbly on his feet. Plus when he has his arms crossed, he seems to be doing that trick my dad showed me where you push out your bicep to make it look bigger than it is. :D

Kove is great. I do follow a lot of Content Creators on YouTube and the feeling is Kove will be Gone at the end of season 3. I love the Scene in 2.04 with Kreese and Demitri. Not really a fan of a grown man hitting a kid but the fact that Kreese is just standing there silent while Demitri is blubbering on and on is funny. Netflix has made one improvement that I am happy with. They got rid of those "Next on" Previews that pretty much give everything in each ep away

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I watched The Karate Kid movies when I was young but haven't seen them in probably nearly 30 years so I'm not a rabid fan of the series. I rewatched the first three movies (the first one was a surprisingly decent teenage Rocky) and I have now seen the first season and this show is a ton of fun. You like the kids and root for them. You like Daniel and it's nice to see him take on the role of Mr. Miyagi. Despite being the 'bad guy', you want to see Johnny get it together and be a better guy. The show is loaded with nostalgia (and I mean that in a good way), embraces being a little goofy but it also delivers exactly what I imagine that fans want to see.

This moment from episode 5 of the first season is the highlight:

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The 1947 Ford that Daniel Was given in the movie (which Ralph Macchio Owns), Its Yellow in the first film. in the Series it looks like a cross between yellow and white. Was it re painted ? Or am I just color blind?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I'm hoping that with Krease having taken over Cobra Kai again, and Johnny having disavowed it, that Daniel and Johnny will finally get on the same page. It feels like the show has mined that conflict as much as it can, and exploring them as allies would be a lot more interesting at this point. And given that their rivalry has (at minimum) put a kid in the hospital, they both have strong reasons to figure out a better way.
Yeah, it definitely seems like Johnny is now going to be working towards redemption by joining up with Daniel and his students. Kreese turned Johnny into a bad guy and played a part in messing up his entire life so I'm deeply looking forward to him and Daniel getting together to defeat Kreese and help the kids at Cobra Kai see the right way.

Something that struck me as very funny was in a later episode of S2 when the cops arrive to break up the party and Stingray tries to open a sliding glass and realizes he has 40 oz. bottles duct taped to each hand. "Ohhh shit!"

All in all, I'm very glad I watched this show because it's a fun nostalgic throwback that keeps hitting the right moments.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
The 1947 Ford that Daniel Was given in the movie (which Ralph Macchio Owns), Its Yellow in the first film. in the Series it looks like a cross between yellow and white. Was it re painted ? Or am I just color blind?
I think the yellow paint just faded in the sun over the years. Who knows where or how Macchio stored it in the intervening decades.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Just binged both seasons today. Season 1 was funnier and tighter, story structure-wise. Season 2 meanders. I wasn't really sure who I was supposed to root for, so it was a little confusing, but still a nice way to re-visit a film series from decades ago.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
I finally got through season 2. I have to admit I think I think a little less of some people on this thread for actually liking season 2. :D

I enjoyed season 1 but don't think I'll be around for another season, especially if Kreese will be back. There really was no point to bringing him back other than for nostalgia. I think it would have been so much more effective if they just brought him back for a quick cameo or even maybe one episode that focused around him.

Interestingly enough I found myself rooting for Johnny. He seemed like the only real character on the show.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Interestingly enough I found myself rooting for Johnny.
I think he's the character that you're supposed to root for. Daniel is basically starting as a good guy and will end as a good guy but Johnny is going to have an arc and will presumably become a better man by the end. That's exactly why Kreese needs to be around for the next season so Johnny can defeat him.

Museum Pieces

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Skylar
I just got the soundtrack for the show for La La Land records for $10. I couldn't believe my luck. I didn't even know there was a soundtrack out.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
I think he's the character that you're supposed to root for. Daniel is basically starting as a good guy and will end as a good guy but Johnny is going to have an arc and will presumably become a better man by the end. That's exactly why Kreese needs to be around for the next season so Johnny can defeat him.
I guess the juice just ain't worth the squeeze for me then.

I'm gonna have to go ahead and disagree with you about Daniel being a "good guy". By all accounts he's a shitty father and husband with a huge ego.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I'm gonna have to go ahead and disagree with you about Daniel being a "good guy". By all accounts he's a shitty father and husband with a huge ego.
Both Johnny and Daniel are flawed, albeit in very different ways. The biggest difference between them is that Daniel had a real support system growing up -- a mother who loved him, and a really good mentor in Mr. Miyagi -- while Johnny was either on his own or guided by people like Kreese who actively led him down the wrong path.

The character arc for Johnny is figuring out how to be a better man when he's never really had any decent role models to show him what that looks like. The character arc for Daniel is to figure out how to stand on his own and make good decisions without Mr. Miyagi there to guide him.

The fundamentals of Daniel's life are pretty solid: A loving and supportive wife who is also a reliable business partner and a good influence on Daniel's decisionmaking, and two kids who are mostly decent and with whom he has a mostly decent relationship.

The fundamentals of Johnny's life are a mess: An ex-wife who's a drunk with terrible taste in men; a son that despises him who, until recently, was a juvenile delinquent; a stepfather who is a verbally abusive asshole; a mentor who is a manipulative predator; a shitty apartment that he can't afford.

But what has been dragging both men down is this inability to move beyond this childish teenage rivalry. What I'm most excited to see in the third season is how they react to having put a kid in the hospital, who may be permanently paralyzed or might even die. They have to take responsibility for the ideas they've put into their students' heads.

At the end of the second season finale, Johnny had repudiated the Cobra Kai philosophy and appeared ready to set off on a new path. On the other hand, Daniel couldn't see past his visceral hatred for Cobra Kai, not recognizing his own role in what happened and not seeing the risks to his marriage and family if he continues down this path.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
Both Johnny and Daniel are flawed, albeit in very different ways. The biggest difference between them is that Daniel had a real support system growing up -- a mother who loved him, and a really good mentor in Mr. Miyagi -- while Johnny was either on his own or guided by people like Kreese who actively led him down the wrong path.

The character arc for Johnny is figuring out how to be a better man when he's never really had any decent role models to show him what that looks like. The character arc for Daniel is to figure out how to stand on his own and make good decisions without Mr. Miyagi there to guide him.

The fundamentals of Daniel's life are pretty solid: A loving and supportive wife who is also a reliable business partner and a good influence on Daniel's decisionmaking, and two kids who are mostly decent and with whom he has a mostly decent relationship.

The fundamentals of Johnny's life are a mess: An ex-wife who's a drunk with terrible taste in men; a son that despises him who, until recently, was a juvenile delinquent; a stepfather who is a verbally abusive asshole; a mentor who is a manipulative predator; a shitty apartment that he can't afford.

But what has been dragging both men down is this inability to move beyond this childish teenage rivalry. What I'm most excited to see in the third season is how they react to having put a kid in the hospital, who may be permanently paralyzed or might even die. They have to take responsibility for the ideas they've put into their students' heads.

At the end of the second season finale, Johnny had repudiated the Cobra Kai philosophy and appeared ready to set off on a new path. On the other hand, Daniel couldn't see past his visceral hatred for Cobra Kai, not recognizing his own role in what happened and not seeing the risks to his marriage and family if he continues down this path.
Jeez, you really analyze the show as if it's a character study like 'Rectify' when it's a poorly written and acted teenage drama on the level of 'Saved By The Bell'.

Last edited:

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I wouldn't go that far, but I'd agree there are properties more deserving of Adam's consistently well-articulated insights. :)

Jeez, you really analyze the show as if it's a character study like 'Rectify' when it's a poorly written and acted teenage drama on the level of 'Saved By The Bell'.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks