What's new

Cobra Kai (1 Viewer)

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
The pilot was great. I wasn't ready for it to end, but I'm also committed to only one episode a night. It's too early to tell, but I hope Daniel isn't a complete ass throughout this. I don't really like the idea of him not learning a damn thing that stuck from Miyagi. But, it's really hard to tell where he's at from the pilot alone.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
All ten episodes are up on YouTube Red. I only managed to see the first two last night before having to head to bed, but I'll be polishing these off in a matter of days, I'm sure.

This show? So far I'm really digging it...but it's also doing a lot of table-setting at the point I left off. Zabka is off to a great start as a burned-out failure unable to let go of his glory days from over 30 years ago. No non-archival Marty Kove as of yet, but Ed Asner made for a nice substitute.

And come on down to LaRusso Autos!

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Zabka’s really carrying this thing in the first episode. He does a good job for someone I haven’t seen acting since Just One of the Guys. They’re really kind of buying into the internet joke that Daniel was the bad guy, but the first ep *was* from Johnny’s perspective....

Ed Asner looks really ancient now. That was a pretty cruel speech he gave Johnny.

Is this a one-and-done series, or is this season one with possibly more on the way?

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I'm through six. It's tough not to burn through more because this show is so bad ass. If anyone's not watching because they don't want to subscribe to YouTube Red, you can get a free month trial as long as you haven't had one before. I'm loving being in the Karate Kid world for ten nights. It's cool seeing Johnny fleshed out from the movie and he cracks me up with his completely non-PC, no bullshit approach to teaching and life. I'm liking where Daniel is, too. Nothing in the creators' background would make me think this would be for me, but they didn't piss all over the franchise.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Pretty solid first season. I can't imagine a fan of the movies being disappointed. I hope if there is a season 2, there will be some space for the characters to evolve even further, and not fall into "roles," which they've done a pretty good job with so far. Those last few scenes were cool, but it seems to promise a more-predictable second season, but I'm totally down for it.

(And hey...was that Quentin from The Magicians in the final four? Got a kick out of that.)

Eve Babcock

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Eve Babcock
Just watched the entire season 1 today and it didn't disappoint. I was supposed to watch one episode but couldn't stop because it was that good. brings back memories

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Episode 7:

GOLF N STUFF! I knew it was coming when Johnny was suffering through Miguel's date idea. Love that they had the same song. Nostalgia out the wazoo.

Felt really great seeing Daniel using the Miyagi method with Robby. I hope he finds out the Cobra kids are not what he fears they are, because he was a pain in the butt at the meeting.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
It’s a TV show continuation of the first Karate Kid movie (it doesn’t ignore events of the sequels). YouTube Red is YouTube’s version of a Hulu/Netflix-style streaming service with original programming.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
With that slicked-back hair, are we sure Silver isn't Robby's real dad? :D

Finished it. Great stuff. I don't buy many Blu-Rays, but this will be one to have.

My loyalties shifted pretty quickly towards the end, but I'm sure Miguel will get back to being a good kid. I'm not going to mention the final scene even in spoilers, but I think Johnny's going to end up pulling his students in a different direction.

Nigel P

Second Unit
Real Name
Nigel
This could so easily have been a big disappointment. I was a big fan of the first two films although I haven't seen them in years, but this did a great job bringing back those memories without just being fan service. I thought initially it was going for Johnny the good guy and Daniel as the antagonist, but it does a good job of not just slotting people into roles for the most part. Will certainly look forward to season 2, I just hope they don't end up dragging it out beyond it's natural life.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
With that slicked-back hair, are we sure Silver isn't Robby's real dad? :D

Finished it. Great stuff. I don't buy many Blu-Rays, but this will be one to have.

My loyalties shifted pretty quickly towards the end, but I'm sure Miguel will get back to being a good kid. I'm not going to mention the final scene even in spoilers, but I think Johnny's going to end up pulling his students in a different direction.
Terry Silver is really the ultimate villain. He took a few months off of running a multimillion-dollar company that seems to only exist to dump toxic waste in the ocean to ruin a 17-year-old boy's life. That is some epic commitment. Although I do like the idea that Kreese blames Daniel winning the tournament on why the dojo had to be shut down. It certainly can't be the fact that he beat the hell out of his prize student in the parking lot in front of everyone, and was then himself beaten by a frail 80-year-old man.

I still love Karate Kid III, and he's the best part of that film. Sure, Silver and Kreese went a little too cartoonish-evil at points, but that might be a good contrast to have common "villains" for both the "hero" Daniel and "anti-hero" Johnny to worry about instead of each other.

I do hope they don't go to the "so-and-so's kid"-well too many times, though. If BadBoy Jr. and Terry Silver Jr. show up at Daniel's dojo...woof, that would be a bridge too far.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I haven’t seen KK III in so long, I didn’t remember Silver’s backstory. I may have to watch it this weekend. I remember enjoying it even though it was fairly stupid. But, then, I didn’t absolutely despise Next KK. At least it had some Eve’s Plum on the soundtrack, if nothing else.

If I remember right, you had guys bullying a decent-looking, normal girl. That adds to the No Retreat, No Surrender parallels, where the handsome guy is bullied by the fat blonde kid who looks like Kyler’s sidekick in Cobra Kai.

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
As I recall, Terry Silver and Kreese were Vietnam war buddies and started Cobra Kai

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
I am so down for season 2. This show was a (surprising) bright spot in 2018.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks