What's new

t1g3r5fan

Reviewer
Real Name
Mychal Bowden
In the 1980’s, Sylvester Stallone was arguably one of the biggest stars in Hollywood; the emergence of the Rambo franchise as well as the continued success of the Rocky sequels (III and IV to be precise) played a big part in that. Also, during that decade, Cannon Films – under the leadership of Menahem Golan and Yoram Globus – consistently turned out a high volume of movies that have gone on to become cult favorites. The union of these two produced Cobra, a vehicle that played to Stallone’s strengths as well as befitting of the company’s style of entertainment. Previously released by Warner Bros. on both DVD and Blu-ray, Shout Factory – via the Scream sub-label – has licensed the film and given it the Collector’s Edition treatment.

Cobra (1986)...

Continue reading...

Last edited:

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I don't think "Cobra" was a "huge hit". According to BOM, it made $49 million, which was good but not great back in 1986.

It was 15th on the year-end box office chart...

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Domestic wise, yes, you do have a point; I went by the worldwide gross, which is about $160 million.

I consulted Box Office Mojo when I wrote my review, and they didn't list the film's non-US gross, so I didn't have that information.

I'll say this: I remembered "Cobra" as a bigger hit than it was. Lotsa hype coming off Stallone's massive 1985, and in my memory, I thought it was a smash in the US.

Nope!

Interesting that Stallone didn't bother with a sequel if the film really did make $160m WW. I think back then studios paid much more attention to domestic and weren't as likely to make sequels if the movie didn't sell in the US...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks