Coaxial protection on surge protector

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by RobbieF, Apr 28, 2004.

1. RobbieF

RobbieF Extra

Feb 2, 2004
    I recently bought a surge protector for my setup that has coaxial protection with it. I use an antenna for OTA digital channels with a built-in ATSC tuner in the TV. If I plug the antenna into this "in/out" circuit, will it pass the required bandwidth needed for HD signals? Or does this circuit even affect the signal in that way at all?

I'm asking because when using a splitter, you need to use a 1 Ghz or 2 Ghz instead of the older 500 Mhz or whatever to pass digital satellite/digital OTA signals. Is it the same on this protection circuit? There is no mention on these surge protectors of being "digital ready" or whatever.
  2. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Jun 29, 2001
    It should make mention of it Robbie and since it doesn't the only thing you can do is try it. There's usually a slight insertion loss with any cable surge protector but that's usually only a fraction of a dB. If you find that putting it in causes you to lose channels, there's a couple of things you can do.
    1) return it and get one that specifically states it's designed for satellite.
    2) keep it and run the main wire into a stand-alone, satellite ready, surge protector (the nicer ones, and it doesn't cost much, have the ability for you to run a ground from the protector to your earth ground), then go into your split.
    Make sense?