Coaxial F-type connectors

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Dave^T, Dec 5, 2003.

1. Dave^T

Dave^T Auditioning

I have seen several great examples of terminating coax in RCA type jacks here on this forum, but my question is:

I want to terminate the coax (cable and Sat) with the Ftype compression connectors. I bought a cable stripper that you spin around the coax and it makes a very nice cut. It appears to be actually 2 cuts...(the outer insulation,braid, and foil wrapper are one and the other is the inner insulator around the main conductor). Unlike the RCA type jacks where the braid is "folded back" to make an end to end circuit, this cutter appears to cut away the braid and foil.

Does the cable company only use the braid as shielding? Or do I have the cutter set wrong?

ALso, I thought that on SAT boxes (DirectTV) that the braid actually was used to supply some sort of voltage to the LNR(s).

Best
    Dave

2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Hi Dave.

First - not all coax has the exact same size. There are different diameters for RG6, RG59 and variations within each of these.

Look at your "F" connectors. If they have a plug on the body that you shove under the insulation, it's fine that the cutter removes the braid. The "cone" part should make fine contact under the insulation layer.

If not, you might want to try one of the adjustable cutters. These things have different settings for different sizes of coax.

3. Dave^T

Dave^T Auditioning

THanks Bob,

I was speaking of RG6 cable. It turns out that the ajustable cutter I had was defective. I got a new one now and it does not remove the braid.

Best
    Dave