What's new

Coaxial Digital Surround Sound (1 Viewer)

Isaiah M

Auditioning
Real Name
Isaiah
Hey everyone needing some help with connecting a Blu Ray player to an older Surround sound system.

For some reason I can't get sound to play through the receiver. I am needing to send video via HDMI to a projector and the audio to the surround sound receiver. The Blu Ray player has a Coaxial Digital output for sound which I plugged into the sound receiver but for some reason I cannot get them to work correctly.

Here is a list of the equipment I'm using.

-Blu Ray player - Sony BDPS 1700
-Surround Receiver - Kenwood VR-517

Thanks in advance for the help.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
Do you have to tell the receiver that the input you used is Coax vs. say Optical? I think my Pioneer remote lets me switch inputs like that. Might be something to check.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
The manual for your receiver can be found here. Page 13 describes the digital connections and specifically mentions:
If you have connected any digital components to the receiver, be sure to read the “Input mode settings” section carefully

The input modes are covered starting on Page 20.

Isaiah M

Auditioning
Real Name
Isaiah
So I've had some time to try and get this system working but I am still not able to get it working correctly. Here are some photos of how I have everything hooked up and the settings. Any other thoughts as to what I may be missing to get this working correctly?

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 47
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 46
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 49
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 62

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
The "Digital Audio Output" should be set to bitstream or Dolby/DTS depending on what the player menu says. PCM through the coaxial output will only be 2-channel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eathree
Recent bookmarks