Coaxial Digital Input, DD5.1 and DTS

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Stephen Coffee, Jun 25, 2003.

1. Stephen Coffee

Stephen Coffee Auditioning

Hey guys, i'm a noob here but looking forward to your expertise. Hopefully the answer to my question hasn't been posted yet, but if it was I was unable to find it.

Heres my problem:

My receiver only has one coaxial digital input, but two optical digital inputs. I need to use the coaxial digital for my dvd player, because it has no optical output, but the coaxial input on the receiver is designated to be used for CD.

The receiver defaults the CD source as stereo, when obviously i want to use it for Dolby Digital and DTS. The audio input for the DVD source is optical, so would i be better off converting it to optical or running it through the CD input?

I am able to get the receiver to accept a PCM signal to use for Digital Stereo, but when i switch it to 6-channel (5.1) mode, and change the dvd output to bistream, it does not work. I know my receiver decodes DD and DTS, so thats not the problem.

Any input? (no puns intended)

2. Stephen Coffee

Let me know if I would be better off posting this on the Receivers/Seperates/Amps Board.

3. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

It sounds like your receiver expects only PCM on the coax input. I'm moving this to Receivers, because this seems to be more of a configuration issue. (And it might help if you listed the make and model of the receiver.)

Your easiest solution may be a coax-to-optical converter. I believe Radio Shack offers one. Maybe someone else can provide more specific information.

M.

4. Mark Hedges

Mark Hedges Second Unit

I have a Midiman CO2 coaxial/optical converter for sale. It will convert coax to optical or optical to coax.

Let me know if you are interested.

Mark

5. Stephen Coffee

The Receiver is an RCA RT2500 (not the best, i know)

Radioshack does not have (and has never heard of) one of these, i checked yesterday.

There is one here for a very reasonable price but I am not sure of its quality.

Anywhere else I might find one of these?

Thanks Guys

6. Michael Reuben

7. Mark Hedges

Mark Hedges Second Unit

I don't really mean to give the hard sell on the Midiman unit but it does have some advantages over the RS or PE unit -

1) It can work both ways. The Parts Express unit is Coax to optical OR optical to coax.

2) Quality. The CO2 has the feel that I have come to expect from a well made product. The others do not.

Mark

MODS- please LMK if it is inappropriate for me to be mentioning this.

8. Michael Reuben

Mark --

Once was enough. Please move the rest of it to email. This isn't supposed to be a thread about the virtues of various toslink/coax converters. It's still not even clear whether Stephen needs one (though I suspect that will be the outcome).

M.

9. Stephen Coffee

Back to the issue at hand, does anyone know if the receiver will even accept the bitstream input? I don't see how it couldnt' because it has a DD and DTS decoder and i thought that was the only way (besides input of the 6 seperate channels) to receive it.

I would like to exhaust all other options before I have to buy a converter. I know it shouldn't diminish the quality of the signal at all since its' digital, but i'd still like to keep it as "simple" as possible.

10. Mark Hedges

Mark Hedges Second Unit

I would think that it could. Maybe you could post the make and model of the reciever and someone could tell you for sure?

Mark

11. Stephen Coffee

The receiver is an RCA RT2500. It only has one coaxial input, which for some reason is the CD source. The receiver defaults this to stereo, but you can toggle it to 6-channel.

Michael said earlier that PCM might be the only thing it recognizes, but the way I understood it PCM is only 2 channel. Why would it let me toggle it to 6-channel if it wasn't capable of bitstream?

Sounds like I might have to resort to the converter. Anyone out there with this receiver or one with similar issues?

12. Jack_TN

Jack_TN Stunt Coordinator

Did you turn off Smart Detect and reassign the coax input to the DVD?

Jack

13. Stephen Coffee

I haven't been able to find a way to reassign an input, if you know of a way how please let me know.

14. Jack_TN

Do you have the manual? I think this on Page 12. Don't know if it will solve your problem, but it's worth a try.

Jack

From manual:
    You may also change the default settings if your connections
    are different from our recommendation (CDCoaxial,
    SAT- Optical 1 and DVD- Optical 2) by turning
    off the smart detect function.
    1. Press and hold TEST/ SET UP until L/R SML shows
    on display.
    2. Press TEST/ SET UP repeatedly until SDET ON
    shows on display.
    3. Rotate MULTI JOG to turn off (SDET OFF) smart
    detect.
    Now you can arrange your favourite settings by pressing
    SET/DEMO and then rotate MULTI JOG to select
    among optical/ coaxial/ analog inputs. Your selection
    will be stored automatically.

15. V JACKSON

V JACKSON Agent

Just to add, I've been using the Midiman converter for years and its superb!!!!! Right now I just use it as a repeater for a long toslink run, but anyway I highly recommend it......................

16. greg_t

greg_t Screenwriter

Stephen,

I have I believe the same RCA receiver (can't check for sure because I'm on the road). It is hooked up to my bedroom system. It does have one coax input which is labeled as the CD input. This input will play PCM and DTS. I know it will do DTS because I have it hooked up to my spare laserdisc player, and it plays the PCM tracks, in either stereo or Pro-logic, and will also play DTS on the laserdisc. It will not accept Dolby Digital. Hope this helps you out.

17. Stephen Coffee

Jack,

I don't see how I missed that! Thanks alot guys for all your help.

18. Stephen Coffee

I was able to reassign the input just like so many people told me, I just hadn't looked hard enough.

Dolby Digital and DTS both work perfectly, just tried it out on Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring Extended Edition with both DD and DTS, sounds AMAZING.

19. Jack_TN

Great [​IMG]

Jack