Coax to Optical ??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Steve_Ch, Oct 20, 2001.

1. Steve_Ch

Steve_Ch Supporting Actor

I want to connect my Toshiba DVD's digital audio output (coax ONLY) to a Sony DTS decoder (optical input ONLY). Is this possible ?

2. Arthur Legardo

Arthur Legardo Second Unit

Yes it is possible. Go to your local music store (not record store) and pick up a coaxial to SPDIF converter. There are several on the market from Fostex, Midiman and a few more, but they're all pretty much the same and sell for $100 CDN. FWIW, I bought a Midiman CO-2, used it for a while with my old receiver but once I got my new Denon 3802 I had no use for it.

Incidently, there are also adapters available for a lot less like http://www.http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&User_ID=3207164&St=8192&St2=-53311805&St3=59377182&DS_ID=3&Product_ID=16150&DID=7.com

[Edited last by Arthur Legardo on October 20, 2001 at 07:02 PM]

3. Steve Berger

Steve Berger Supporting Actor

I got mine from MCM Electronics for $15 + $2 AC adaptor (US) they are a mail order catalog company. They do ship to Canada. I use it between a PC and Sony amp and it seems to work fine. In fact I've seen the same picture on some speciality suppliers sites for $45 or so. It also appears to be the same one Parts Express has. (www.partsexpress.com)

4. Rich Kraus

Rich Kraus Stunt Coordinator

5. Steve_Ch

Thanks for all the input, the SoundProfessional device appears to be perfect, and BTW, www.partsexpress.com return with site not found.

6. Arthur Legardo

Arthur Legardo Second Unit

The part number from Parts Express is 180-960 for the coaxial to optical converter. Incidently, if you want to go the other way, optical to coaxial, they have that too, it's part number 180-961...don't know why the link didn't work.

7. Steve_Ch

The partsexpress link is now working, they may be down when I tried it earlier today. Looks like a great place for all kind of stuff, thanks for the tip.