Coax to optical or verce visa??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Stan Rich, Sep 13, 2002.

1. Stan Rich

Stan Rich Stunt Coordinator

Is there such a beast??
    Need to change the coax out on my dvd player to optical..
    receiver only has one coax input but several optical.

2. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    Markertek, www.markertek.com, and others, carry those devices. Just go to the website and do a search of 'optical to coax.'

3. Luis C

Luis C Stunt Coordinator

Stan, why are you trying to convert? What are you using the coax input for now?

4. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    Stan, besides those devices, you could get a high isolation A/B switch at places like Radio Shack for something like $7.99. It has 'F' connectors, so you will need to either get adapeters or terminate with 'F' connectors at one if you are inclined to DIY. If you wanted to get fancy, Radio Shack has an infrared remote model (so you can program a universal remote) of the same thing for something like $39.99, which is probably a couple of dollars less than many of the devices you inquired about. I have one of the devices that you asked about that will convert either way. My bedroom system back to my main system and my HD tuner has an optical and coax digital out and sits in my main system. So I use the coax in my main system and rather than deal with a long optical cable and bend it, I opted for one of those things to convert the HD Tuner optical out to a coax input on the bedroom receiver, which along with an 'S' connection to the bedroom TV and one of those pyramid RF repeaters, allows me to get digital TV into the bedroom set and have remote control over the HD Tuner in the other room. I think I paid about $60 for mine (optical/coax). I know there are ones a drop cheapter too.

5. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer

Carl III
    Phil's suggestion is your best bet. A cheap coax a-b switch can be had for less than $10 and will do the job just as well for much cheaper than a coax to optical converter.

6. Stan Rich

Stan Rich Stunt Coordinator

Thanks to all...I'll start w/Radio Shack.

7. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil