Coax signal to RCA connectors, is it possible?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tim Abbott, Feb 4, 2002.

1. Tim Abbott

Tim Abbott Second Unit

Tim
    Here is what I am trying to do. I have a standard coax cable coming out of the wall for cable. I would like to hook this up to one of those portable, hand-held TV deals (I know this is a weird situation, long story). All of the portable TVs I have found have a regular OTA antenna and video/audio ins. I haven't found one with a coax hookup. So, is there a cable or device that will convert the cable signal into an RCA audio/video in? I don't even know if I would be able to change the channel, but I was just wondering.

Or even better, is there a hand-held tv that has an RF antenna in? I would like to buy it from Best Buy, as I have a gift certificate there.

In this day and age I'm sure anything is possible, but I would like to do this fairly cheaply (no more than $20 or so) if its even possible.

Thanks for the help.

2. Dave Pobuda

Dave Pobuda Stunt Coordinator

You say the TV has "regular OTA hook up" is this using the 2 pair antenna wire ? If so you can get a matching transformer for the coax in and this should work fine. I believe there are coax to RCA male connectors, best place to look would be rat shack. Hope this helps

3. Tim Abbott

Tim Abbott Second Unit

Tim
    Sorry, Dave, let me clarify that a bit. It has one of those telescoping antennas that it uses to pick up OTA broadcasts. Not really any connectors that I saw (other than the A/V in), but I will check again.

I'll stop by and see what they have at Radio Shack. I wasn't even sure if that type of cable existed, but I guess Radio Shack will have it if they do.

4. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Tim: I'm afraid it wont work.

The CATV coax carries all television channels in a Radio Frequency format. Your "Video IN" is expecting a simple video signal.

The device that converts one to the other is called a Tuner - lets you select Channel 2/3/...

Does the hand-head TV have the antenna screws for an external antenna? If so, there IS a small device for about $10 at Radio Shack that converts the CATV coax into 2 spade connectors to connect to older TV's (pre cable-ready). This may be all you need.

5. Tim Abbott

Tim Abbott Second Unit

Tim
    Thanks for the reply, Bob. That is what I was starting to suspect. I will investigate into the antenna connection a little more.

I did run across a hand held model that does have an RF input. It is a little more than I wanted to spend, but if I don't have to buy anything additional, it will work out about the same.

6. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast

Clint
    The device Bob speaks of is a transformer which converts a 75ohm signal into a 300ohm signal. I still have the original one from my Sega Genesis.

7. scottS

scottS Extra

>>The device Bob speaks of is a transformer which converts a 75ohm signal into a 300ohm signal. I still have

the original one from my Sega Genesis.

That's good, but if the device only has an OTA tuner,

don't you need a device which converts the cable signal

to a channel 3/4 signal for the tuner??

scott s.

8. Scott Kriefall

Scott Kriefall Second Unit

Scott

9. DaveM

DaveM Extra

I have had a little Casio handheld TV for years. Back when I first got it I went out to radio shack and picked up this . I am guessing that the new handhelds have an external antenna input like my older one has and this worked well. It could not, and still cannot, pick up every channel on cable, but it gets the major ones. I remember hooking up a SNES to it as well...but Mario was to small to see.

10. Tim Abbott

Tim Abbott Second Unit

Tim
    That is exactly what I ended up doing, Dave. Unfortunately, for me, the missing stations ended up being pretty critical for me (ESPN, ESPN2, Fox Sports, and a bunch of others I like). I think I am just going to get a cheap 13" for now.

Thanks for all of the help.