1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

Coax Question

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by drobbins, Aug 26, 2006.

1. drobbins

drobbins Screenwriter

Dave
    I am in the process of running wires in a new house. I live in a rural area so, I am putting an OTA antenna in the attic for local TV and FM radio. My Phone co. provides out internet and "cable" TV. The gateway box has S-video out that will be used on the main TV. The other output in coax. I would like to run only one wire to each room for both sources.
    Question 1: Do the coax splitters allow signals to travel both ways? I need a "Y" connector to send the input signal from the antenna and the input cable into the same coax. The cable uses channel 3 & 7 and the only TV I will get is 13 so I don't see any frequency sharing issues.
    Question 2: How to do the hook up in the livingroom? Can signal travel both ways in the same wire? I would have one wire coming out of the gateway sending a signal, one wire coming into the room, and another feeding the TV and FM to the stereo. Can the one wire coming into the room be used to bring the antenna signal to the TV & stereo AND take the cable signal out to the other TVs?
    Dave

2. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

For whatever reason, I'm just having a tough time understanding your post.

1) Yes, the signals can travel both ways but I don't think you can combine your antenna signal with your coax signal to give you your local channels without causing interference with the cable signal and vice versa. Further, the impedance of the coax from the rooftop antenna isn't 75 ohms I think so you'd have some serious impedance mismatches resulting in reflections and other problems. To my way of thinking, if your TV has another input for an antenna (assuming you want HD or something), then that's a sensible approach but that will require you to run a dbl run of coax to each destination. Belden, among others, sells bundled coax to make things like pulls through the walls and studs a lot easier.

2) Not sure if the above answers this also.

3. drobbins

drobbins Screenwriter

Dave
    Judging by the fact that there are not any other responses, I guess my post is hard to understand. [​IMG] Let me try this: How would I wire this?
    1. Inputs:
    2. Cable box in living room.
    3. Antenna in attic
    [*]There will be a common area in the basement where all the coax will go. Here is where the splitter will be located, along with any other equipment needed.[*]TVs in possibly 6 different rooms.[*]The living room has both the cable box and a TV.[*]I would like to use only one coax per room to carry both input signals to the TVs.[*]Will I need 2 coax in the living room? One to carry the cable to the basement & the other to sent the combined signal back to the TVThanks,
    Dave

4. Chuck Paskovics

Chuck Paskovics Stunt Coordinator

You will definately need a separate run for the attic antenna. As someone mentioned before, you can't combine that with the cable. Do you plan on splitting the antenna signal too? If so, you can run that right to the basement box, split it and then run the cables for the antenna around the house. However, every jack will have to have 2 ports, one for cable and one for OTA.

If you are prewiring the house, why not have the direct cable feed go directly to your box where you plan on splitting it? That way, you only need to run a wire from the box to the living room.