Coax for speaker wire?!? :confused:

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ChrisWiggles, Dec 17, 2002.

1. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

So, I am not a speaker-cable expert by any means, but I was taken aback by what one local store had rigged up for speaker cable. Not necessarily in a negative way, but something I never would have thought of, which was that they were using a single coaxial cable for each speaker. Needless to say, this struck me as quite odd.
    They had a gadget on each end... gosh i forget what they called it, but it took the rca connection, into a tiny box, and outputted on two short wires, R and B to the speaker terminals. I don't know what this contraption was, or how it worked, but it seemed quite strange to me. They said they used it all the time, in their installs, and everything, and that the little boxes at each end of the cable were only about ten bucks each. Has anyone else seen such a setup with coax cable? If so, how does it work, and how does it sound (assuming that not all speaker cables are totally equal[which, except for tiny wire I am skeptical of]). It would seem that a coax cable would not be designed for this use. Were they just using the inner conducter and the shield as the two conductors? Ideas? Are they nuts? [​IMG]

2. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Uh- Coax is simply a cable with a core and a ground- these two items could be used to carry any type of signal, including speaker signal.

The same is true of speaker cable- it has 2 conductors- so you could soldier an RCA connection on the end and carry audio or video.

The box would be simple to build- heck I would forgo a box and simply wire the core and shield directly into banana terminals. Save yourself the $10.

-Vince

3. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

The center wire of consumer grade audio and video cables is too thin (probably 20 gauge or so) to handle reasonably loud passages of speaker audio typical of high grade home theater and audio systems. It'll work OK for soft playing systems in the store. The braid probably is equivalent to 14 or 12 gauge.
    Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm