What's new

Coax for Component cables (1 Viewer)

Chris Fla

Auditioning
I'm in the process of building a home theater on a modest budget. I will be purchasing an LCD front projector in the future and will require 40' video connects. I've read about the recepies for component cables using RG6 and RCA connectors from some posts here. In my line of work, I use RG59/U (95% shielding copper no foil with solid copper core) for CCTV systems and was wondering if this cable could be used for making component cables. If so, would there be a noticeable difference in the picture if compared to "better" cables?

Thanks

TimForman

Supporting Actor
I think making your own interconnects is one of the easiest and most affordable improvements you can do. Yes, you can use RG59. This is my personal preference.

Chris Fla

Auditioning
How is the picture affected with lesser cables as compared to cables like the Belden 1695A or 1694A? I just don't want to compromise the picture quality but I also don't want to purchase more expensive cable if I'm not going to see much of a difference. What should I be looking for in the picture?

TimForman

Supporting Actor
The Belden 1694A is not a "lesser" cable. I'm not sure what you're comparing it to. RG6 is a higher spec than RG59. RG6 cable such as Belden 1694A or Gepco VSD2001 have lower signal loss and faster signal transmission than RG59. I liked the Gepco because it was less expensive, more flexible (slightly faster but not much) than the Belden. Flexibility was important to me because I was going to be bending the cable. It's N/A if you're running a straight shot. If you can get Belden 1694A for less than $0.29 per foot go for it. As for picture quality you should see less noise and more clarity with RG6 cable. BTW, this topic is usually covered extensively in the Tweaks and Connections Forum on this site. Oh yeah, the 1695 is plenum cable which you probably don't need.

adamKI

Stunt Coordinator
How is the picture affected with lesser cables as compared to cables like the Belden 1695A or 1694A?
Tim, I think you misread Chris' post. He was grouping 1695 and 1694A together as being better choice and asking whether he would have a problem if he used RG59 or other "lesser" cable rather than one of those two.

TimForman

Supporting Actor
:b
Geez, guess I should learn to read better. Well, I still answered the question, albeit bassackwards. Sorry 'bout that.

Chris Fla

Auditioning
So the bottom line is that there would be a noticeable improvement in the picture quality using RG6 for component cable over RG59/U. Right?

TimForman

Supporting Actor
There are other contributing factors, especially chroma bug, that cable will not fix. Outside of these types of things, yes, you should get a better picture with RG6 than RG59.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks