Coax cable for component video

Discussion in 'Accessories, Cables, and Remotes' started by Jeffery.S, Sep 4, 2005.

1. Jeffery.S

Jeffery.S Auditioning

I've just started putting together my first HT room. I bought my house several months ago and the previous owner had the room pre-wired by a local A/V retailer. Three coax cables were run from the front of the room to the back ceiling for the projector. However, the 3 coax cables are not identical. Two are identical and the third is physical larger diameter. Why would they do that?

1. Shouldn't all three component cables be identical?
    2. Would I be better off pulling new cable with the connectors already installed, or is it easy enough to strip and install connectors myself without worrying about quality loss?

My current plan is to mount my project (Sharp DT-400) from the ceiling and connect using component input. The current cable length is 25'. Suggestions?

2. Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc Producer

Jim
    That does sound strange. Are you talking about RG6 cable?
    All the cables should be the same(they usually are labeled on cable with small print). I would probably use new component cables. If you know how to put new connectors on, you can do that, but all cables should be the same(RG6).
    Why are the cables run from front of room? Will your A/V rack be in front of room? I DEFINITELY suggest you put your A/V rack in rear of room, if possible. It will be closer to projector, allowing you to use shorter cables(which are cheaper, and you don't have to worry about signal loss with long runs).

3. Jeffery.S

Jeffery.S Auditioning

The two identical cables are RG6, the other is larger and does not have any print on the outside. I will probably pull all new cable. My A/V cabinet will most likely be in the front due to fact that the room was originally designed that way. Thanks.