Coating on Sony RPTV screen coming off.

Discussion in 'Displays' started by edRN, Feb 6, 2005.

1. edRN

edRN Auditioning

We own a 13-14 month old Sony KDP-51WS550 HDTV. I've noticed some "brush" type marks a few months ago on the screen and attributed it to scratches on the set's screen. Recently though, it appears as some type of coating is coming off of the outer screen. I only use Monster Cable's Monster Clean on the TV with the provided cleaning cloth. It is most noticable in the corners of the set but is spreading further into the viewing area. I am almost certain this is a defect but as the set is barely over the 1 year mark, I would probably have no shot of a warranty fix.
    Is anyone firmiliar with this type of situation? Would further cleaning in order to remove this coating be detrimental to the picture? Would outer screen replacement be necessary? Would this type problem extend outside the normal warranty? Should I contact Monster Cable?
    Thanks for any help.
    Ed

2. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

I have a 3 year old Sony KP57HW40, which came with an anti-reflective screen coating. It turns out this coating was water-soluble and the same thing happened to me. I have good light control in my room and don't have any lights that can reflect on the screen during normal viewing, so rather than risk messing up the tv with a screen replacement I just kept cleaning until the coating was gone. I do notice a slight increase in screen reflections, but pq is not harmed. If anything the picture's a tiny bit brighter. I have no streaks on the screen any more. I've been using Sprayway glass cleaner, comes in a white and blue aerosol can. I spray it on a soft wad of paper towels (Bounty) and then clean the screen one section at a time. Cleans totally streak-free and does not scratch the screen.

The Sprayway stuff is hard to find, I get it from the auto dealership where I work--the detail dept uses it. It's made by Sprayway Inc. Addison Illinois 60101-4468. It's an alcohol/de-ionized water based product with no ammonia.

3. Dave H

Dave H Producer

I have the Sony KP-57WS520. One of these days I might remove the damned screen. Everyone says the picture looks better without it. However, my focusing is perfect right now and from what I'm told, the focusing would need a little tweaking after removing the screen. I just don't want to mess with something that's not broke if you know what I mean.

4. edRN

edRN Auditioning

So, now that the coating is on it's way out, is there anything that can accelerate the removal process? The soft cloth/water method is slow and tiresome.
    Thanks for your replies.
    Ed

5. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Ed,

The sprayway stuff got rid of the residual coating on mine in an afternoon. Just did one section at a time until all the streaking was gone, took maybe half an hour to an hour altogether.

6. edRN

edRN Auditioning

Thanks for the reply. I'll call around some of the auto body supply stores locally and see if I can find some.
    Ed

7. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

If there are any commercial janitorial supply houses in your area they may also carry the Sprayway stuff. Comes in a white and blue spraycan with a June Cleaver 50's style housewife pictured on the label.

Whatever you use, try it on a very small area first to make sure it doesn't hurt the screen. Chances are your set and mine, both being Sonys, use the same screen material, but it never hurts to be careful.