Coal Miner's Daughter . The dvd format & my wife

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Sergio, Apr 30, 2003.

1. Sergio

Sergio Stunt Coordinator

Sergio Perez-More
    Finally the most requested title of my wife since the beginning of the format will be release on May 6 by Universal.

Since my first DVD player back in 1998 I endured remarks like "The image and sound are O.K but When is Coal Miner's Daughter out on DVD?"

The best part is that she don't even know that will be release in a week. The look in her face will be priceless when this title arrive in the mail.

Anybody care to comment?

2. StephenC

StephenC Stunt Coordinator

I was in the same situation.My girlfriend of three years would ask me when Urban Cowboy was coming out.You should've seen her face when I handed her the Paramount Dance Pack(Urban Cowboy,Saturday Night Fever,Staying Alive,Footlose,Grease,and Flashdance).

3. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

I'm a HUGE Sissy Spacek fan. I can't wait to see this on DVD & listen to the commentary. Next to "Carrie", which she should have won an Oscar for, this is definately her greatest performance.

4. TimJS

TimJS Second Unit

Jeff:

What commentary?

Tim

5. Derek Duncan

Derek Duncan Stunt Coordinator

There is an audio commentary with Sissy Spacek and the director, an intervew with Loretta Lynn, an interview with Tommy Lee Jones and much more. It is a collectors edition, look on all the sites, including Universal's, it's all there.

Derek

6. TimJS

TimJS Second Unit

It's not on DVDPlanet, DDD, or Amazon. The release details (including the cover art) from the Bits & DVDfile, to name a couple of sites, don't mention that it is a Collector's Edition or have any special features. I finally found a late March announcement on DVDTimes that mentions the commentary, George Bush feature (yes!), etc. I don't typically go to the major's sites since they are usually less informative than the above sources.

But at any rate, this is great news! And the title has just moved from 'highly probable' to 'definite buy'.[​IMG]

Tim

7. James L White

James L White Supporting Actor

Segio, you got the DVD already? If so how did Universal do on the a/v

8. Sergio

Sergio Stunt Coordinator

Sergio Perez-More
    James,

Pre-ordered @ DVDEmpire. Release date 05/06/2003

9. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

I watched "Coal Miner's Daughter" last nite after having a hard time finding it at retail yesterday. I watched two of the 3 extras, the interview with Jones & the interview with Loretta Lynn, both done by the director. They were interesting enough. Too bad a featurette about the making of the film was not available. I then got to watching then film itself. I watched it with the commentary on. The commentary featured Director Apted & Sissy Spacek. It was sort of a combination of interview & free flowing comments. I enjoyed listening to it, but I'm prejudiced--I love Sissy as an actress & hearing her talk and reminisce about the film was great. It may not appeal to more casual fans, but this entire film I doubt would appeal to the casual fan. The die hard fans of Loretta Lynn &/or Sissy Spacek are going to be the main audience of this film & the commentary. I think that Spacek & De Angelo did an amazing job doing their own singing in this film. For a nearly 25 yr old film I thought the transfer looked pretty good. It was also nice to see it in the OAR also for the first time. I also think that Tommy Lee Jones got shafted in regards to the recognition of his acting in this film. It would have been a lesser film without him. I think that this film has stood the test of 23 yrs of time because of the emotion of the film, & emotion is timeless.

10. DeeF

DeeF Screenwriter

I think this movie (watched last night) is splendid, and the previous comments are right on (the movie is about superb performances, particularly Spacek, Jones and D'Angelo).

One caveat: the movie doesn't sound very good. I suppose the original mono soundtrack doesn't please me anymore. I would love to hear some of the tracks fully stereo. Is it just me?

11. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

12. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill Ambassador

Steve Tannehill
    The new 25th anniversary edition (released this week) has a 5.1 mix! I'll be checking it out tonight or tomorrow.

- Steve

13. JohnMor

JohnMor Producer

John Moreland
    I thought the new 5.1 soundtrack was SPECTACULAR! Crisp, clear, loud, and very rich. more than worth the upgrade cost, in my opinion.

14. Bradley-E

Bradley-E Screenwriter

D'Angelo should have been nominated for Supporting Actress. Her Patsy Cline performance is remarkable. Much better that Jessica Lange.

15. ScottR

ScottR Cinematographer

She was nominated, wasn't she?

16. JohnMor

JohnMor Producer

John Moreland
    No, neither she nor Tommy Lee Jones received nominations. The noms that year were:

Eileen Brennan, Private Benjamin
    Eva Le Gallienne, Resurrection
    Cathy Moriarty, Raging Bull
    Diana Scarwid, Inside Moves
    Mary Steenburgen, Melvin and Howard (WINNER)