What's new

Coach gives 13 year old boy "Cry Baby" Award. (1 Viewer)

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
Here's the story IMO, he's lucky this is all that's going to happen to him...this wasn't mentioned in the story, but one reason I heard that he did this to the kid was because when he was younger a coach did the same thing to him and it supposedly served as motivation. IMO, this was unnecessary and simply a means of humiliation, and I agree he shouldn't be allowed to coach anymore.

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Wrong in so many ways. What bothers me more than anything else is that this was a special ed. class. Somehow I don't think that his coach was in a special ed. class when he went to school. If the boy's parents wait for the school board to do something somebody should be filing cruelty charges.

This really makes me sick.

Glenn

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
I'd love to meet that guy.

And by "meet", I mean "beat to a pulp".

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
I guess I'm the only heartless bastard in the room
*keeps thoughts to himself in the corner*

Kevin T

Screenwriter
not enough back story to explain why he was given the "cry baby" trophy. maybe it was justified...mabye it wasn't. who knows? as far as being a special education teacher, that has nothing to do with coaching. am i the only one who went to a school where the baseball coach was also the economics (history....etc) teacher? if that coach is even a half-way decent special ed. teacher, he won't be losing his job.

kevin t

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
And in turn, the coach should be the recipient of the school's "You're Fired!" award, hands down. No amount of sensitivity training, suspension, coaching bans or public apologies will undo the damage he did to the boy and his family.

Ike

Screenwriter
There isn't enough story in that article to make a judgement. What if the coach and the kid were friendly, and just joking around, and it was the others who (possibly the kids parents) who took it wrong?

Jason L.

Second Unit
I agree, I would love to hear the backstory on this one.

What really scares me, is the Orwellian future all of us will face whenever we have views that are outside the mainstream. Just replace "sent to behavior modification indoctrination camp" with "sent to sensitivity training".

Just fire the guy and be done with it.

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member

I won't hide in the corner, I think this whole thing is hilarious. There is no mention as to what the kids reaction was. Kids need thicker skin these days. The media picked this up and probably spun it so hard and fast to make it into a story to make people feel sorry for the kid. Well this is a wakeup call to the kid. Life is not fair, life is not all puppies and rainbows.

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
Uh guys, according to the radio report I heard on this, the kid was reduced to tears and humilated in front of all his team-mates.

(I also think that a few of us have forgotten what it might feel like to be made a complete fool of when you are a young teen.)

If it was a "special needs" team, then all the kids got the same trophies. Except for this young fellow. Hence his Dad saying that he wants his son to get the same thing everyone else did. (That's what leads me to think it might be a special-ed team...everyone got the same awards.)

Special needs or not, presenting a kid with a "Crybaby" award in front of all his friends and parents is just wrong. Whether it was meant as a joke or not...it was in VERY poor taste.

Either way, it's wrong, and the coach needs to be fired at the very least.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee

I agree there is not enough information but...I'm sure there are more constructive ways of teaching that lesson.

Philip_T

Supporting Actor
Heres more info
I don't think calling the kid a crybaby in private or 1 on 1 on the sidelines would not have been that bad at all. As mentioned earlier, lifes not fair. But premeditating it out like that, in front of everybody, with the specific intent to embarrass, is a little much. Didn't this guy see Stephen Kings Carrie? BTW, they fired the coach.

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
Especially when he TOLD the kid he'd be getting a "special" award.

The salient point from the article...

Totally uncalled for. Hope the guy gets fired. What the hell was he thinking???

Leila Dougan

Screenwriter
The kid is 13, not 16. If he had been 16 or 17, gotten on the varsity team then just whined, I could understand. But 13? There's a lot of emotional maturing that goes on in just those couple of years and what may be more appropriate for a late teen isn't for a younger teen. Sounds like the coach, who is only 24, hasn't fully matured himself.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee

Yeah, I can just see the guy, upon seeing the kid upset by his cruelty, saying "See! What'd I tell ya!"

The more I think about it the angrier I get. I'm glad he got canned. Let some other profession take him - it's obvious he doesn't take teaching seriously.

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
who said anything about teaching him? i have very little sympathy for someone who intentionally tries to embarass a 13 year old kid in public. it may not be the worst thing that has ever been done to someone, but it certainly was not necessary, and the guy deserves everything he gets.

CJ

Marc_Sulinski

Supporting Actor
It looks like he is not fired after all. I don't have a link to a source, but apparently the school board does not have the authhority to fire him without the superintentent's support.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member

Well, sooner or later hed be reduced to tears BY his teammates if he was that much of a PITA.
We going to fire them all too?

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Treatment by the child's peers is a separate issue. The bottom line is this guy was an adult, in a profession with clear standards and expectations and therefore should have known better both as an adult and as a teacher/coach. Does he deserve to lose his job over it? That can be debated. What is not debatable is he acted inappropriately.

Users who are viewing this thread