What's new

Co-worker Reviews Pearl Harbor (funny) (1 Viewer)

Jeff Gibbons

Agent
A guy at work just gave me his review of Pearl Harbor that I thought I'd share with you.
First off, he was suprised that the movie started out after the attack and didn't introduce any of the characters. He kept waiting for flashbacks to explain everything and felt lost for the "entire" movie. When the credits rolled, after what he said didn't feel at all like 3 hours, he was upset that so little was shown about PH itself, and nothing whatsoever of the attack. After all, that was the whole reason he wanted to see the movie!
When I asked him if he knew it was a 2 DVD set he said he hated the movie so much he didn't have any desire to watch the "extras DVD".
Oh boy. :rolleyes:
Jeff

Kimmo Jaskari

Screenwriter
Please tell me you at least told him that the other disc was the first part of the movie. I mean, it's hardly a great movie but still.

ToddS

Stunt Coordinator
I did the same thing with Goodfellas because I did not realize it was a flipper I ended up watching the second side first.

Jeff Gibbons

Agent
Oh, don't worry, I helped him out. He's new to HT but he really loves it.

He actually felt pretty silly and we both had a good laugh. Now he has to go home and explain it to his wife...

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I feel for that guy; I've done dumb things like that before. :) It's understandable, too. This is the first 2-DVD movie, right? And before, all second DVDs were bonus material. What I don't understand, is how he watched the second half, rather than the first half. I'd expect him to have grabbed the first disc, not the second disc.
At least he things cleared up.

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
I think I've posted this before, but I did this with the flipper DVD of "The Right Stuff." I'd never seen the film and started on side B by mistake. Watched for nearly an hour before I realized that I had to be missing something (I was totally lost) and figured out what happened. I had just assumed that the other side was pan-n-scan and since I was watching widescreen it must be okay. :b

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
That's a great story! :) I wonder was this a rental or something he bought...if he rented then I can see them switching the discs' order in the case easily and him getting confused. I sympathize for him...but you gotta think he'd at least CHECK OUT what was on the other disc, right? I mean, didn't he feel weird when he didn't see an opening credits set of screens?
Regarding this:
This is the first 2-DVD movie, right?
Ah, how about The Ten Commandments or The Godfather Part II? And that's just what I can think of without trying; I'm sure there's a few others.

Kimmo Jaskari

Screenwriter
Wait a minute, the first disc is the one with the attack on it, right? That's the only really good part of the whole thing. :)

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
some other movies spread over 2 discs:

CLEOPATRA

LAWRENCE OF ARABIA

some longer movies that are spread over 2 sides of the same disc (flipper):

OLIVER!

BEN HUR (DVD-18)

GONE WITH THE WIND

I'm sure there are probably many more.

Bill Gato

Stunt Coordinator
Glenn,

I can't believe that my wife and I were not the only ones to have watched the wrong side of "The Right Stuff" first. The only difference is, we watched the entire side of the disc and were wondering the entire time why the movie seemed disjointed and characters were in the movie with no introduction.

Guess it happens to the best of them!!:b

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
I watched at least half of A Bug's Life in 16x9 mode. Finally there was a shot of the moon, which looked sort of like an egg and I realized my error. I blame it on the adult beverages I had consumed.

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter
The first time I watched Schindler's List LD I watched side 2 first without knowing it. It actually seemed ok until I flipped it over and watched side 1, then it got really disjointed!

Jodee

Screenwriter
This reminds me of a post on DVD Talk a long time ago, when a guy was complaining that he didn't see why everyone liked the movie Goodfellas. He thought it ended up abruptly and it never resolved anything.
Turned out he only watched side 1 of the flipper :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks