Co-op games?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DwightK, Dec 14, 2002.

1. DwightK

DwightK Second Unit

I recently purchased and played Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance (PS2 version as it was $19 vs 49 for xobx). I played through solo and had a blast. I then played through the game co-op with a friend and the game was superb[​IMG]
    I nor my friends are not at all interested in head to head, deathmatch, etc type games but ones where teamwork and co-operative assistance are required, in other words, co-op multiplay.
    How many other games offer co-op play? Why is this so rare?
    I am looking for co-op games for either the xobx, PS2, or the GC. Not PC, even though the PC has the best examples of which I am aware such as any of the MMORPG's, System Shock 2, etc, RTS's, Counterstrike, etc.
    I noticed in a diablo thread that Hunter: the Reckoning was recommended but when I looked at the back of the game it looked VERY bloody (not good for kids) and set in a goth, vamp setting which is acceptable but not preferred.
    Any recommendations?

2. Chris Rock

Chris Rock Supporting Actor

Ghost Recon has a pretty cool co-op multiplay mode, both online and off.

3. JoshF

JoshF Supporting Actor

Contra: Shattered Soldier on PS2 is a blast. It's tough, but fun in co-op mode.

4. Dave Bennett

Dave Bennett Screenwriter

Halo has an amazing co-op mode. Also, Half-Life for the PS2 has an entire second scenario called Decay that can be played split screen co-op.
    Edit-Forgot to add that Timesplitters 2 for all three platforms has a co-op mode.

5. JoshF

JoshF Supporting Actor

If you like goofy games, but fun games, try Adventures of Cookies and Cream. It's sort of a coop-platformer. Hard to describe, but it can be fun.

Also, if you have the stamina, try Dance Dance Revolution - pick up the game and two dance pads. LOADS of fun.

6. DwightK

DwightK Second Unit

Josh, oh yea DDR is fun. Not with my IT Band the way it is right now though.

Thanks for the other suggestions. I will try out a few as I can. I just like the idea of 3rd person/iso games over fps's as split screen would then not be required.

Oh, mechwarrior in grinder mode, River City, 2 player is really fun co-op and gets hard once multiple mechs start spawning.

7. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

Time Crisis 2, though you'll need 2 guns for it to be worth it. You could just buy Time Crisis or TC: Project Titan for PSX and get a second gun with the game.

8. Derek.Dixon

Derek.Dixon Agent

Serious Sam for the Xbox supports cooperative via split screen AND system link.

9. Jeff Kohn

Jeff Kohn Supporting Actor

Halo is cool in co-op. ALso Hunter: The Reckoning has co-op with up to 4 players, and it is not split screen, which is a big plus (though I understand why split-screen is required for some game types).

10. DaveGTP

DaveGTP Cinematographer

DYNASTY WARRIORS 3!! Also, the new Dynasty Warriors 3 Extreme Legends (kind of like a remix) comes out for $40 in January. Great co-op game.

11. Jeremy Illingworth

Jeremy Illingworth Supporting Actor

12. Dave Bennett

Dave Bennett Screenwriter

Well Jeremy you're entitled to your opinion. I wasn't vouching for it as when I had Half-Life for the PS2 I only played the main game. At any rate, the original poster was wanting to know about games with a co-op mode and Half-Life does regardless of how good it may or may not be.
    Anyhow, back on topic, Twisted Metal Black also has a co-op mode.

13. Dave Falasco

Dave Falasco Screenwriter

Toejam and Earl 3 and House of the Dead 3 both have co-op modes. Although I'd recommend renting HOD, as by all reports you'll probably blow through it in 4-5 hours. And while it is a lightgun game, I've played the demo with a controller and it works like a charm.