Cntr. Channel for Boston Acoustics front speakers.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike S H, Dec 18, 2002.

1. Mike S H

Mike S H Auditioning

Does the center channel absolutley have to be the same exact brand as the front speakers? Downstairs we've got Boston Acoustics front channel speakers Model # CR65. But our current center channel is a Bose VCS-10 . I've never liked the Bose VCS-10. I always find myself turning up the volume to hear the dialogue on certain movies. Sometimes it seems fine, but others not.
    Do you absolutely have to have all three front speakers MATCHED by brand exactly? I really am not sure what I'm doing. Right now, I am buying my parents a Sherwood reciever for the upstairs. So eventually my dad and I will go halves and buy a new center channel for the downstairs and put the BOSE VCS-10 upstairs where it will match with the archaic BOSE 2.2 front speakers. What do you think I should do? Something that costs under $200 would be good.
    ps: Do you think I should have the Boston Acoustics CR-6s as rear speakers instead of front instead?

2. Michael_Hml

Michael_Hml Stunt Coordinator

Mike,

If you can find one used, the Boston Acoustics VR-12 center is an awesome speaker. I've owned one for several years, and have just recently swapped it to be my rear center surround speaker for no other reason than that I did want three timbre-matched speakers across my front channels.

Matching the front three speakers is not absolutely required, but it definitely improves the "seamless" quality of sound as things pan from left to right in front of you. Speakers that have different midrange and treble tonal qualities can make the sound un-even as it changes from speaker to speaker, and is especially pronounced in pans across the front channels.

The Bose center has more issues than just the fact that it doesn't match your existing fronts. A good center channel will produce clean, clear dialog even at low volumes and is a result of quality design and quality drivers, neither of which Bose are known for.

It is also important to have the volume levels of all of your speakers calibrated correctly. An inexpensive Radio Shack sound level meter can do this quite well, and can go a long way towards making the whole system sound more even and balanced.

The VR-12 is going for around $275-$280 from what I've seen on the used market, but it's really well worth the price and will more than hold its' own even if you decide to move the CR65s to the rears and upgrade your fronts.

There was also a smaller model, the VR-10, but I'm not as familiar with that one. It would probably also do very well in your system.

-Mike

P.S. - Where in RI are you? I'm in Cranston.

3. RobCar

RobCar Stunt Coordinator

A better match for the CR65s would be the Boston Acoustics CRC center channel. It's part of the CR line of speakers, and I believe it retails for $200, which is right in your budget. See this page for more info:
    http://www.bostonacoustics.com/Serie...ID=19&SpecID=1
    A full lineup of CR speakers really does sound great together. I heard a setup w/ CR85s as mains, CR55s for rears, and a CRC. Not sure what the sub was.

4. Evan M.

Evan M. Supporting Actor

Mike, I agree with Rob. If you are going to keep your cr's as fronts get the crc center channel. It has the same tweeter as your sides which are a soft dome. The vr line has the lynfield aluminum dome. It is a very sweet soundeing tweeter. I would match up the front speakers and make sure they have the same tweeter all the way accross so you have good timbre matching. The rears you do not have to worry about as much although it would be best to match though as well, it's just that not as much info is sent to the back as your front stage. The crc center will sound perfect with your fronts and should give you a good even sound. hope this helps and good luck.

5. Michael_Hml

Michael_Hml Stunt Coordinator

I actually do agree with that, however there is something to consider...

If he's looking to upgrade his front speakers and move the CR's to the rear channels, the CRC may not be the best choice for the center. A logical step up in the Boston line would be the VR series for front speakers, which would ultimately match with the center and save the cost of upgrading the center again.

If the plan is to keep the CR's as the front speakers for some time, then I do concur that the CRC is a better choice.

-Mike