What's new

CNN: "Film Flops Flourish on DVD" (1 Viewer)

Rob T

Screenwriter
I keep on telling people this over and over but nobody believes me. :)

Travis_W

Supporting Actor
I...uh bought...uh Battlefield:Earth! There, I said it!:b

I guess this does occur because if it caused me to shell out 13 bucks for a flick so critically panned there ya go. The fact that I haven't sold it yet still astounds me but it's an alright flick in that campy crappy style. Office Space and Friday are also mentioned and while I saw Office Space at theaters I would have never got into the Friday series if it weren't for video.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
This has been true since before DVD, but the popularity of DVD has increased the opportunities for generating significant revenue after a theatrical release. That's why you're now seeing major ad campaigns focusing exclusively on the DVD release.

The article cites Austin Powers, which is one of the best examples. Without the success of the first film on home video, there probably wouldn't have been sequels. The same is true of the recent Shanghai Knights, since Shanghai Noon turned in weak box office performance but sold well on DVD and VHS.

M.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
The same is true of the recent Shanghai Knights, since Shanghai Noon turned in weak box office performance but sold well on DVD and VHS.
I actually had to doublecheck IMDB, but you are right, Shanghai Noon only broke even. I was surprised that it had cost that much to make.

Course, they didn't mention the original home video warrior, Highlander.

Jason

Brian Ruth

Supporting Actor
I also found it interesting that just about HALF of the movies mentioned are Warner/New Line titles. COINCIDENCE??? :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks