What's new

CNN Article on AFI's Best Movie Quotes (1 Viewer)

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
Interesting choice for the next show. I'm glad to see Wilder on top for writers, although I would have added about 30 more of his lines to the nomination list. :D

I counted lines from:
Ball of Fire
Ninotchka
Double Indemnity
Lost Weekend
Sunset Boulevard
Stalag 17
Some Like It Hot
The Apartment

I wish that they would put these shows out on DVD. I don't consider these shows to be truly perfect lists by any means, but I find them very enjoyable to watch and they often put me in a mood to watch some of my favorite films.

Elinor

Supporting Actor
"Bogart leads actors in nominations; Wilder tops among writers
Thursday, November 18, 2004 Posted: 9:56 AM EST (1456 GMT)

LOS ANGELES (AP) -- Humphrey Bogart, Arnold Schwarzenegger and Jack Nicholson are competing in a war of words.

The American Film Institute is surveying Hollywood types for the top 100 quotes from U.S. movies, with contenders including Bogart's "Here's looking at you, kid" from "Casablanca," Schwarzenegger's "I'll be back" from "The Terminator" and Nicholson's "You can't handle the truth!" from "A Few Good Men."

Chosen from 400 classic lines of dialogue, the winners will be revealed in the CBS special "AFI's 100 Years ... 100 Movie Quotes" in June.

"Great movie quotes become part of our cultural vocabulary," said Jean Picker Firstenburg, AFI director.

The top 100 will be chosen through ballots sent to 1,500 directors, screenwriters, actors, critics and others in the film business.

Other contending quotes include Clark Gable's "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn" from "Gone With the Wind," Mae West's "Why don't you come up and see me?" from "She Done Him Wrong," Tom Hanks' "Houston, we have a problem" from "Apollo 13," Cuba Gooding Jr.'s "Show me the money" from "Jerry Maguire" and the "Star Wars" gang's "May the Force be with you."

The quotes range from the first full sound feature film with Al Jolson's "Wait a minute, wait a minute. You ain't heard nothin' yet" from 1927's "The Jazz Singer" to creepy creature Gollum (Andy Serkis) hissing "My precious" in 2002's "The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers."

The TV special is the eighth top-100 list for the AFI, whose previous specials included best U.S. films, comedies, love stories, movie tunes and heroes and villains.

"Casablanca," which was No. 1 on AFI's list of best love stories and ranked second on the list of top overall films, leads the competition with seven quotes among the 400 nominees, followed by "The Wizard of Oz" with six.

Bogart has the most quotes on the ballot with 10, followed by Al Pacino and the Marx Brothers with six each. Billy Wilder leads screenwriters with 13 nominated quotes.

Copyright 2004 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/SHOWBIZ/Movi....ap/index.html

A few they didn't mention:

Go ahead, Punk, make my day.

Hasta la vista, Baby.

Consider that a divorce.

Play it, Sam.

Fiddle-dee-dee.

You know how to whistle, don't you? Just put your lips together and blow.

I'd love to kiss ya, but I just washed my hair.

Fasten your seatbelts. It's going to be a bumpy night.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Pacino was in the top 3 for quotes? Huh, I didn't think a line like "F*** you , ya F****'n Cock-a-Roach!" Would make it on a list like this.:D

John Stell

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Stell

Actually, number 94 is "Yippie-ki-yay, mother..." from Die Hard, #129 is, "I'm your worst f**king nightmare, man! A n***er with a badge." from 48 Hours, and #296 is "Sometimes you gotta say, What the f***," from Risky Business.

ZacharyTait

Senior HTF Member

I agree. What's next? 100 Best title sequences?

I do hope "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." is in there.

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
I'm curious as to see how the special will shape up. What's there to talk about?

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
eh, I'll be interested to see what'll be chosen. But to me this is a placeholder list to their inevitable revote of 100 movies in 2006. :)

Seeing these films would undoubtedly improve my Scene-it abilities further. :)

Tarkin The Ewok

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brandon
Actually, I would be more interested in a Top 100 Main Title Sequences countdown than this quotations countdown. Since main titles generally were not a big deal in the early movie era, there would be more recent releases on that list. I don't think that there were no good movies before Star Wars or anything, but it seems like the AFI voters like to choose many of the older films just because they are old. Also, a great many lessons have been learned from cinema's past, and new techniques have been developed, so there should be an evolutionary effect as time goes by.

My favorite movie quote: "The name is Bond...James Bond."
It worked over 40 years ago, and it still works today.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I'm sure there well be lot's to talk about on this quote show. They paly a clip of the quote, and than some one like Woody allen would go "Oh yeah, I remember that, that was good!"
:D

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
Looking thorugh the list of nominated quotes, I decided to go through and choose my own top 100. So, please forgive the long post, but here it is.

TERRY McKAY: Oh, it was nobody's fault but my own. I was looking up. It was the nearest thing to heaven. You were there.
AN AFFAIR TO REMEMBER

CHARLIE ALLNUT: A man takes a drop too much once in a while, it's only human nature.
ROSE SAYER: "Nature,” Mr. Allnut, is what we are put into this world to rise above.
THE AFRICAN QUEEN

STEVE McCROSKEY: Looks like I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue.
AIRPLANE!

RIPLEY: Get away from her, you bitch!
ALIENS

EMPEROR JOSEPH II: There are simply too many notes.
AMADEUS

CAPT. JEFFREY T. SPAULDING: One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got in my pajamas, I don't know.
ANIMAL CRACKERS

ALVY SINGER: I don't want to move to a city where the only cultural advantage is being able to make a right turn on a red light.
ANNIE HALL

FRAN KUBELIK: Shut up and deal.
THE APARTMENT

LT. COL. BILL KILGORE: I love the smell of napalm in the morning.
APOCALYPSE NOW

ARTHUR BACH: I'm going to take a bath.
HOBSON: I'll alert the media.
ARTHUR

DR. EMMETT BROWN: Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads.
BACK TO THE FUTURE

SUGARPUSS O'SHEA: I love him because he's the kind of guy who gets drunk on a glass of buttermilk, and I love the way he blushes right up over his ears. I love him because he doesn't know how to kiss, the jerk!
BALL OF FIRE

VIVIAN RUTLEDGE: I don't like your manners.
PHILIP MARLOWE: I'm not crazy about yours. I didn't ask to see you. I don't mind if you don't like my manners. I don't like them myself. They're pretty bad. I grieve over them long winter evenings.
THE BIG SLEEP

ROY BATTY: I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die.
BLADE RUNNER

ELWOOD BLUES: We're on a mission from God.
THE BLUES BROTHERS

MATTY WALKER: You aren't too bright. I like that in a man.
BODY HEAT

THE MONSTER: We belong dead.
BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN

DR. DAVID HUXLEY: It isn't that I don't like you, Susan, because after all, in moments of quiet, I'm strangely drawn toward you; but, well, there haven't been any quiet moments!
BRINGING UP BABY

BUTCH CASSIDY: Kid, the next time I say, “Let's go someplace like Bolivia,” let's go someplace like Bolivia.
BUTCH CASSIDY AND THE SUNDANCE KID

RICK BLAINE: Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine.
CASABLANCA

RICK BLAINE: Here's looking at you, kid.
CASABLANCA

WALSH: Forget it, Jake. It’s Chinatown.
CHINATOWN

MRS. PARKER: You'll shoot your eye out.
A CHRISTMAS STORY

CHARLES FOSTER KANE: Rosebud.
CITIZEN KANE

SHUG: I think it pisses God off when you walk by the color purple in a field and don't notice it.
THE COLOR PURPLE

CAPTAIN: What we've got here is failure to communicate.
COOL HAND LUKE

HUBERT HAWKINS: The pellet with the poison's in the vessel with the pestle. The chalice from the palace has the brew that is true.
THE COURT JESTER

FLO MARLOWE: Oh, hold me closer! Closer! Closer!
DR. HUGO Z. HACKENBUSH: If I hold you any closer, I'll be in back of you.
A DAY AT THE RACES

JOHN KEATING: Carpe diem. Seize the day, boys. Make your lives extraordinary.
DEAD POETS SOCIETY

MOUNTAIN MAN: I bet you can squeal like a pig.
DELIVERANCE

JOHN McCLANE: Yippie-ki-yay, motherfucker!
DIE HARD

HARRY CALLAHAN: You've got to ask yourself one question: “Do I feel lucky?” Well, do ya, punk?
DIRTY HARRY

PHYLLIS: There's a speed limit in this state, Mr. Neff. 45 miles an hour.
WALTER: How fast was I going, officer?
PHYLLIS: I'd say around 90.
WALTER: Suppose you get down off your motorcycle and give me a ticket.
PHYLLIS: Suppose I let you off with a warning this time.
WALTER: Suppose it doesn't take.
PHYLLIS: Suppose I have to whack you over the knuckles.
WALTER: Suppose I bust out crying and put my head on your shoulder.
PHYLLIS: Suppose you try putting it on my husband's shoulder.
WALTER: That tears it...
DOUBLE INDEMNITY

JAMES BOND: Bond. James Bond.
DR. NO

PRESIDENT MERKIN MUFFLEY: Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!
DR. STRANGELOVE

COUNT DRACULA: Listen to them. Children of the night. What music they make.
DRACULA

RUFUS T. FIREFLY: I could dance with you ‘til the cows come home. On second thought, I'd rather dance with the cows ‘til you came home.
DUCK SOUP

E. T.: E. T. phone home.
E. T. THE EXTRA-TERRESTRIAL

COL. NATHAN JESSEP: You can't handle the truth!
A FEW GOOD MEN

TYLER DURDEN: First rule of Fight Club is -- you do not talk about Fight Club.
FIGHT CLUB

GUNNERY SGT. HARTMAN: What is your major malfunction?
FULL METAL JACKET

VITO CORLEONE: I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse.
THE GODFATHER

MICHAEL CORLEONE: I know it was you, Fredo. You broke my heart. You broke my heart.
THE GODFATHER: PART II

RHETT BUTLER: Frankly, my dear, I don’t give a damn.
GONE WITH THE WIND

TOMMY DE VITO: Funny like I'm a clown? I amuse you?
GOODFELLAS

BENJAMIN BRADDOCK: Mrs. Robinson, you're trying to seduce me. Aren’t you?
THE GRADUATE

GRUSINSKAYA: I want to be alone.
GRAND HOTEL

ELLIE ANDREWS: Well, I proved once and for all that the limb is mightier than the thumb.
IT HAPPENED ONE NIGHT

GEORGE BAILEY: What is it you want, Mary? What do you want? You want the moon? Just say the word, and I'll throw a lasso around it and pull it down.
IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE

MARTIN BRODY: You're gonna need a bigger boat.
JAWS

JAKIE RABINOWITZ/JACK ROBIN: Wait a minute, wait a minute. You ain't heard nothin' yet!
THE JAZZ SINGER

MR. MIYAGI: Wax-on, wax-off.
THE KARATE KID

CARL DENHAM: Oh, no, it wasn't the airplanes. It was Beauty killed the Beast.
KING KONG

JEAN HARRINGTON: I need him like the axe needs the turkey.
THE LADY EVE

WALDO LYDECKER: In my case, self-absorption is completely justified. I have never discovered any other subject so worthy of my attention.
LAURA

THE LONE RANGER: Hi-Yo, Silver!
THE LONE RANGER

GOLLUM: My precious.
THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE TWO TOWERS

DR. CHRISTIAN SZELL: Is it safe?
MARATHON MAN

ANNIE WILKES: I am your number one fan.
MISERY

JEFFERSON SMITH: You think I'm licked. You all think I'm licked. Well, I'm not licked. And I'm going to stay right here and fight for this lost cause. Even if this room gets filled with lies like these, and the Taylors and all their armies come marching into this place.
MR. SMITH GOES TO WASHINGTON

JOHN 'BLUTO' BLUTARSKY: Over? Did you say “over?” Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell, no!
NATIONAL LAMPOON'S ANIMAL HOUSE

HOWARD BEALE: I'm as mad as hell, and I'm not going to take this anymore!
NETWORK

OTIS B. DRIFTWOOD: It’s alright, that’s in every contract. That’s what they call a sanity clause.
FIORELLO: You can't fool me! There ain't no Sanity Claus.
A NIGHT AT THE OPERA

OSCAR MADISON: I cannot stand little notes on my pillow! “We are all out of cornflakes, F.U.” It took me three hours to figure out F.U. was Felix Unger.
THE ODD COUPLE

TERRY MALLOY: You don't understand! I could’ve had class. I could’ve been a contender. I could've been somebody, instead of a bum, which is what I am.
ON THE WATERFRONT

JOHN D. HACKENSACKER III: Chivalry is not only dead, it's decomposed.
THE PALM BEACH STORY

GEN. GEORGE PATTON: Now, I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country.
PATTON

GEORGE EASTMAN: I love you. I've loved you since the first moment I saw you. I guess maybe I’ve even loved you before I saw you.
A PLACE IN THE SUN

GEORGE TAYLOR: Get your stinking paws off me, you damned dirty ape!
PLANET OF THE APES

CAROL ANNE FREELING: They're here!
POLTERGEIST

INIGO MONTOYA: Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die!
THE PRINCESS BRIDE

FRANZ LIEBKIND: Not many people know it, but the Führer was a terrific dancer.
THE PRODUCERS

NORMAN BATES: We all go a little mad sometimes.
PSYCHO

VINCENT: They call it a "Royale with Cheese."
PULP FICTION

INDIANA JONES: Snakes! Why did it have to be snakes?
RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK

ITZAK STERN: The list is an absolute good. The list is life.
SCHINDLER'S LIST

ANDY: Get busy livin’, or get busy dyin'.
THE SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION

LADY LOU: Why don't you come up sometime and see me?
SHE DONE HIM WRONG

JACK TORRANCE: Here's Johnny!
THE SHINING

DR. HANNIBAL LECTER: A census taker once tried to test me. I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti.
THE SILENCE OF THE LAMBS

COLE SEAR: I see dead people.
THE SIXTH SENSE

OSGOOD FIELDING III: Well, nobody's perfect.
SOME LIKE IT HOT

OLIVER: Well, here's another nice mess you've gotten me into!
SONS OF THE DESERT

HAN SOLO: May the Force be with you.
STAR WARS

DARTH VADER: I am your father.
STAR WARS: EPISODE V: THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK

NORMA DESMOND: I am big! It's the pictures that got small.
SUNSET BLVD.

TRAVIS BICKLE: You talkin’ to me?
TAXI DRIVER

THE TERMINATOR: I'll be back.
THE TERMINATOR

HARRY LIME: In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, and they had 500 years of democracy and peace. And what did that produce? The cuckoo clock.
THE THIRD MAN

NIGEL TUFNEL: These go to eleven.
THIS IS SPINAL TAP

MARIE 'SLIM' BROWNING: You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and blow.
TO HAVE AND HAVE NOT

HAL (V.O.): Dave, stop. Stop, will you? Stop, Dave. Will you stop, Dave? Stop, Dave. I'm afraid.
2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY

VERBAL KINT: The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.
THE USUAL SUSPECTS

GORDON GEKKO: Greed, for lack of a better word, is good.
WALL STREET

CUSTOMER: I'll have what she's having.
WHEN HARRY MET SALLY

JESSICA RABBIT: I'm not bad. I'm just drawn that way.
WHO FRAMED ROGER RABBIT

MILDRED: Hey, Johnny, what are you rebelling against?
JOHNNY STRABLER: What've you got?
THE WILD ONE

DOROTHY GALE: Toto, I've got a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore.
THE WIZARD OF OZ

THE WICKED WITCH OF THE WEST: I'm melting! Melting! Oh, what a world! What a world!
THE WIZARD OF OZ

IGOR: What hump?
YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
Matthew,
Thanks for posting your list. Im afraid I cant access the nominees from the AFI site for some reason. At least I have some idea whats there.

ZacharyTait

Senior HTF Member

The Police Academy movies have been making the rounds on HBO the past few weeks and I still find myself amazed at his ability to recreate just about any sound. I hope he is getting work as a foley artist. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks