Cna you help me find a permanent, controllable email account on the Web? Please...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by TheoGB, Mar 1, 2002.

1. TheoGB

TheoGB Screenwriter

Jun 18, 2001
    I have three or four domains. I have had a number of ISPs and am with an ADSL one at the moment.
    The problem is that I don't want to be tied down to an ISP.
    I also don't want a Hotmail account because the second you open it you get tonnes of junk mail, and frankly I find the style of these internet accounts over-graphical and clunky, at best.
    I want recommendations for a company who I can pay (free would be nice but I really doubt it) a reasonable amount of money (i.e. not a lot) to have SMTP and POP3 on the web from anywhere - a nice simple browser or even FTP based place.
    None of the hosting companies I've used offer SMTP.
    Why? Because I don't want to risk not being able to get my emails if I part company with my ISP and I'd like more control than I have with hotmail, et al.
    For example, I'd like to be able to send setting the reply path back to a different email so that if someone emails me at [email protected] their reply doesn't say [email protected]
    Cheers for listening.
  2. Les_D

Les_D Auditioning

Mar 20, 2000
    They have control of MANY domains using American and Europian last names. And many other domains that make interesting email addresses.
    For about $5 a year each I have "[email protected]" for me and my wife. You can also get domain names the asme way. ""
  3. nolesrule

nolesrule Producer

Aug 6, 2001
    Joe Kauffman
    Since you said you own some domains, I know of at least 2 website hosting companies that offer POP before SMTP service (meaning you have to authenticate your connection by checking your email before you can send out):

Neither of these guys is expensive, in terms of hosting, and they are reliable.

I'm sure there are a bunch of others out there that provide the service. I remember seeing a bunch of them when looking for website hosting.
  4. Greg_Y

Greg_Y Screenwriter

Mar 7, 1999
    I recently switched to to host my domain. Pretty cheap, but good service. I do POP and SMTP at home. If I'm not at home, I use a free Perl script that installed to check my mail over the web. It simply POPs the headers off, but leaves the message. Then when I get home, I can POP the mail off.
  5. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Mar 4, 2001
    David Fischer
    Theo - I've got a domain name registered and hosted by Server Central, and they provide in their basic plan (among other things):
    • Server Space - 30MB
    • Users (POP/IMAP/FTP/WEB) - 10
    • 24/7 FTP Access - YES
    • Unlimited E-Mail Aliases - YES
    • Wildcard E-Mail Alias - YES
    • ASP, PHP4, MySQL, CGI - YES
    • Real-Time Site Control Panel - YES
    • Frontpage 2000 Extensions - YES
    • Personal User Websites - YES
    • Unlimited Technical Support - YES
    • SMTP (Email) Gateway - YES
    • Bandwidth Monitor, Traffic Stats - YES
    • Domain Names (No Fees) - 1 Free
    • Setup Fee - None
    Of particulary note: the POP and SMTP services. They provide both email aliases (for forwarding to your service of choice) or web-access email service (using your hosted space). If I understand, this is what you want.
    Or, if motivated, you could use a hosted domain, and setup your own email service using one of the freely available email web apps, and customize it to your taste. (Note: I'm not sure if ServerCentral has the necessary PHP extensions for doing this in PHP.)