CN36X81 Toshiba HDTV: Service Menu Settings and Modifications

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Gareth, Sep 25, 2002.

1. Gareth

Gareth Stunt Coordinator

Dear guys,

I have read several posts about how the VSM on the Toshiba HDTVs affects the sharpness of the TV. I would like to turn it off. It naturally turns off in theater mode. However, in theater mode, the colours are not what I want, and the picture temperature is warm.

Has anyone gone through the service menu to turn this off?

I see two paths, either 1) I go to the service menu and turn VSM off when in memory settings mode (allowing me to modify all settings from regular menu controls and avia), or 2) set my ideal settings through the service menu for theater mode.

What do you suggest? Has anyone found optimum settings for all the variables that are present in service mode? I would love to have a starting point from which to work. I want to do all the background research I can before playing in this menu. This sort of tweaking I have never done and I know there are some gurus here in the group.

I ordered and have the service manual for this model Toshiba, and I know how to get into the service and designer menu.

Cheers,
    Gareth

2. Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.
    Insider

Gregg Loewen
    There is no SVM off setting in the service menu (that I am aware of).

You should be watching movies in warm / movie mode, but ive never yet worked on a Tosh that had accurate color temps out of the box.

If you want SVM off, go to movie / theater mode to turn it off, then go to the color temp mode and change it to cool / low / or medium. This will become a user defined movie /theater mode.

I hope this helped

regards

Gregg

3. Gareth

Gareth Stunt Coordinator

you can't turn it off in theater mode. just by being in theater mode it turns off automatically. when you customize the setting after you put it in theater mode it turns back on.

4. Georgie

Georgie Auditioning

Gareth,
    I'm also interested in ordering the service manual for the CN36X81. Did the manual detail any default settings for the service menu or Designer menu lists?

Thanks for your feedback.

5. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

Service menu defaults are not to be casually entered into any TV. They are there in case of catastrophic failure of your service menu.

No TV from the factory has service settings matching those in the manual ... nor should they.

The design menu access is detailed in the service menu. That is all ... no listings. Design menu items are not required for servicing the TV. That is why they are called "design" values.

SVM is in the design section ... all 4 or 5 of them.

Regards

6. Georgie

Georgie Auditioning

Michael,
    Thanks for the feedback. I suspected it would not be as easy as resetting the values to default. The reason for my enquiry stems from the fact that I have multiple issues with the set although it is less than a year old. It may be time to contact a good ISF Tech.