C'mon Fox....

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Frank Soyke, Feb 16, 2017 at 9:19 AM.

1. Frank Soyke

Frank Soyke Screenwriter

Frank
    You want to put you classic shows to bed and forget they exist, fine... but how about giving us 10 good ones and we collectors will never bother you again:

Finish Peyton Pace
    Finish Burke's Law
    12 'O' Clock High
    Julia
    Felony Squad
    Trapper John
    Green Hornet
    Nanny and The Professor
    AfterMash
    and any one season sitcom from the 60's-80's

After that, I promise to forget you exist....

JamesSmith, jrol, MBrousseau and 5 others like this.
  2. Rick Thompson

Rick Thompson Screenwriter

As much as I like some of those, I'd rather they finish St. Elsewhere, which they stalled after one season. Right now the best hope seems to be Shout Factory, as they've been releasing other MTM shows complete, either as complete sets (Hill Street Blues and WKRP in Cincinnati) or individual seasons (Newhart and Lou Grant). St. Elsewhere is the really the last of MTM's big dramas (though I'd like to see The White Shadow last season released, and Remington Steele released on non-flippers).

Nick*Z, Mike Frezon and Flashgear like this.
  3. Jack P

Jack P Producer

Let someone finish "Burke's Law" please!

4. phenri

phenri Second Unit

Paul
    I great interest in all of these shows (except AfterMash). Felony Squad and the remainder of Burke's Law are on the top of my want list.

Flashgear likes this.
  5. mattfire64

mattfire64 New User

Matthew
    I would buy DVD sets of 12 O' Clock High and The Green Hornet in an instant. Even if they were released using old transfers I'd still buy them. I know for a fact that both shows have picked up a new generation of followers from exposure on MeTV and H&I (I know because I am one of them!), why not capitalize on that then?

Flashgear likes this.
  6. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Rick:

It's almost like you and I are the voices in the wilderness calling out for this "no brainer" of a complete series release. :D

7. JamesSmith

JamesSmith Screenwriter

Was the Farmer's Daughter a Fox show?

James

8. Ron Lee Green

Ron Lee Green Supporting Actor

Sony--Screen Gems. Last syndicated in the mid-80s. It was never re-mastered. No tape transfers exists--only reels.

9. MCCLOUD

MCCLOUD Second Unit

Robert
    The 1971-1972 Glenn Ford TV Series Cade's County is the show I want the most from Fox. There were 24 Episodes so thus could be done in 1 DVD release. It sure would be nice if Fox would release Cade's County on DVD in 2017!

Robert
    series

RBailey and Flashgear like this.
  10. rmw650

rmw650 Screenwriter

Richard W
    Not sure if it's a FOX title or not, but what about Fish Season 2, which was its final season? I remember Shout releasing Season 1 with that huge BM DVD set but never a Season 2 set.

11. Jack P

Jack P Producer

Fish is Sony.

bmasters9 likes this.
  12. Brother Theodore

Brother Theodore New User

Nick M.
    Room 222, as well.

Flashgear likes this.
  13. 13 Feb 19, 2017 at 1:23 AM
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2017 at 2:04 AM
    Dave Lawrence

Dave Lawrence Supporting Actor

Dave
    I make no such guarantees. :)

However, if I had to limit myself to 10 remaining Fox-owned shows, here's my list:

• Boston Public
    • Hagen
    • Judd for the Defense
    • The New Perry Mason
    • Rhoda (preferably a complete series set which would include Season 5, a corrected Season 1, and the Carlton the Doorman animated pilot)
    • Room 222 (Seasons 3 - 5, to complete the series)
    • St. Elsewhere (Seasons 2 - 6, to complete the series)
    • The Tony Randall Show
    • Trapper John MD
    • The White Shadow (Season 3, to complete the series)

Nick*Z, Darby67 and Flashgear like this.
  14. Brian Himes

Brian Himes Screenwriter

Brian
    Room 222 has been discussed numerous time before. It is one of my all time favorites shows and would love to have it completed on DVD. However, unless Fox is willing to do a complete restoration of Room 222, sadly this show is dead on DVD.

Shout could pick up and finish Rhoda if they were so inclined but that doesn't appear to be the case. They seemed to have mended fences with Fox but for reasons unknown, Rhoda and a few other Fox titles that Shout started still remain unfinished. If I had to guess, I'd say either Fox is still charging too much to license the shows or sales just don't justify continuing .

Darby67 and Flashgear like this.
  15. 15 Feb 19, 2017 at 6:00 PM
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2017 at 6:11 PM
    Dave Lawrence

Dave Lawrence Supporting Actor

Dave
    I agree, Brian.

With these wish list threads, I enjoy contributing to them, but it's getting to the point where I no longer have expectations that any shows I mention (or any shows I see others mention) will ever be released. Especially when it comes to a company like Fox, I'm grateful that we've gotten as much as we have, including the upcoming completions of Newhart and Lou Grant. Beyond those, however, I see very little. Even the 2 shows announced last year as in the works - How to Marry a Millionaire and The Trials of Rosie O'Neill - could fall by the wayside. (There have been no updates since the initial announcements.)

Today's my birthday (43 years old, but I don't look a day over 42...) and I'm having a great day so far, so I'm not trying to sound negative. But getting another year older also has me thinking about how with each year, the number of TV-on-disc releases for shows older than 5 years keeps decreasing. I know that's partly because many of the most popular/well-known/still-in-reruns shows have been released by now. Yet there hasn't seemed to be much of a similar decrease in disc releases for older films. On the contrary, that's still going strong - as indicated by the regular stream of film-on-disc announcements in the Blu-ray and even DVD sections.

Fortunately we still get occasional crumbs from Warner Archive, Shout Factory and even CBS/Paramount. So all is not lost. Maybe VEI will eventually finish their 2014 list of planned releases someday. Still trying to have hope, but these companies don't make it easy.

All that said, my current library of shows is pretty good, including a number of series I never expected I would own. So if nothing else was ever released, I'm very pleased with my collection. (But that doesn't mean I don't wish to add more to it.)

Darby67, mattfire64, ChrisALM and 2 others like this.
  16. JamesSmith

JamesSmith Screenwriter

I feel the same way, Dave and I'm 53. We have every reason to be grateful for what we have, and you did an excellent job stating the case of TV DVD releases. Maybe we shouldn't expect anything from the current viewing generation, but hope for the best. I am grateful for whatever releases we get and I hope some of you feel the same way as well.

James

Regulus, Darby67, bmasters9 and 2 others like this.
  17. WendyCR

WendyCR Stunt Coordinator

I realize not many do, but if you have a region-free DVD player, Amazon.de sells seasons of Remington Steele (individually and as a complete series set) with single-sided discs. The packaging leaves a lot to be desired (the old accordion-like DVD holder), but I'm gladly living with that inconvenience for better-quality discs.)

Regulus and Flashgear like this.
  18. 18 Feb 20, 2017 at 11:27 PM
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2017 at 4:04 AM
    Regulus

Regulus Cinematographer

William Hughes
    I purchased a region-free DVD player this past year, and have purchased a number of series that aren't available across the fruited plain, but are available across the pond. I'd much rather acquire sets this way than from the various "trading sites" on this side of the Atlantic.

BobO'Link and Flashgear like this.
  19. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Cinematographer

Howie
    ^Me too! I agonized over the decision for some time but finally decided there were some shows I'd likely never see again if I didn't go that route. I do not regret doing so and now own several British series I'd have never seen otherwise as well as some shows I've wanted on DVD for years but the powers-that-be didn't feel either full releases or any releases were viable for the US market. I've also discovered that many series I *did* purchase on US DVD are significantly less expensive across-the-pond and there are dozens of "region free" BR releases which have superior packaging to go with that lower price when purchased from the UK.

Unfortunately, none of the Fox series I'd like are available there either... :(