What's new

Clumsy? (1 Viewer)

KimK

Stunt Coordinator
I don't know if this topic has ever been discussed but here goes ;)
I tend to be extremly clumsy at times, I have a B&W subwoofer and I'm constantly banging my knee on the corner of it when I walk past it. Once I cut my finger with a knife when cutting a slice of bread and I managed to spill a bowl of cornflakes on the carpet twice in a week. I once fell of the last step of a staircase and landed smack down on my face.
And so on...
Are any of you particularly clumsy or is it just me?

Don_Houle

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Don
I don't find that I'm particularly clumsy, but I have lived with someone who is! My old roommate was always banging into things and stubbing his toe on pieces of furniture that hadn't moved in months!

At first, I thought this was due to a general lack of physical coordination, but, since this guy's a decent athlete, I don't think this is true.

Instead, what I've found (by watching him and others and from thinking about the times when I've bumped into things, cut myself, etc), is that 'clumsiness' is really a lack of awareness of one's surroundings and your own body in relation to those surroundings.

For example, a couple of months back, I was cleaning my trusty Swiss Army knife. As I wiped the blade with an oiled cloth, I managed to cut pretty deeply into my finger (the blade is really sharp!). Looking back on this, I was not paying attention to what I was doing. Instead, my mind was somewhere else - not a good idea! But, since I didn't give the blade the respect it deserved, I paid the price!

So, unless you have an actual physical problem, I would say that the solution to 'clumsiness' is simply paying more attention to what's around you when you're walking, sitting, climbing stairs, etc.

Niel_JL

Stunt Coordinator
My wife has managed to break , one by one, all the glasses (18 of them)in the kitchen, by dropping them inadvertently in the sink over a 2 year period. That's almost 1 glass every 2 months. I love her to death. :)

Michael Fennessy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Michael Fennessy
I am somewhat bodily clumsy but more so I am constantly spilling things. My wife will not let me drink anything but water in the bedroom due to the time that I fell out of bed with a full glass of juice covering bed floor, ceiling, wall, lamp and dog. Once spilled a 24 oz. black Dunkin Donuts coffee on our white rug minutes before her parents visited us for the first time. My standard answer to her complaints is "I must live in a world where I can spill"

Mike

Leila Dougan

Screenwriter
I'm pretty clumsy too. I am always running into furniture and hitting my foot on things. I have a speaker on the floor that has a pretty sharp corner on it and I hit my foot on it at least once a week. I am constantly spilling things too. The kitchen is a mess when I'm done with it and I am always spilling food/drink on my shirt. :b I have the most trouble with soda cans and cups.
There isn't anything wrong with me, physically anyway. I'm clumsy because I'm fast and impatient. I don't want to spend the 2 extra seconds pouring milk into my bowl slowly, so I pour fast. Well, duh, I spill it. You'd think I'd learn after realizing cleanup takes much more time than being careful in the first place. I'm always banging my feet into furniture because I walk fast and don't pay attention to where I'm walking. Its all my fault, I know. Somehow, though, I feel its more of a part of who I am than anything. I probably could stop and pay more attention to things and be less clumsy, but its not in my personality to do so. :D

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Some people are klutzes.

Way back in the 1970s, one of my riding buddies was a fellow who, if one was truthful, had no business being on a motorcycle. His machines were constantly being tipped over, and he got into the weirdest sorts of accidents. He once crashed a 1974 Suzuki GT750 (the old "water buffalo"--a liquid-cooled two-stroke Triple) because he managed to drop a soda bottle (drinking and riding!) into the front wheel; the bottle was caught in the wire-wheel's spokes and the machine seized, catapulting The Brainless One over the handlebars.

His two most recent machines before I lost touch with him--a 1975 Honda CB500T and then a 1978 Yamaha XS750 Triple--were stolen.

It was best he should give up motorcycles.

KimK

Stunt Coordinator
Ouch! I did that on my bike once. A little twig was caught in the front wheel and I thought I could remove it with my foot while I was riding the bike. My foot getting jammed into the front wheel didn't hurt as much, as landing on the asphalt on my back. Luckily I only got the wind knocked out of me.

Pamela

Supporting Actor
I am the Queen of Clumsy. One of my particular favorites is when I slipped on a catalog I had thrown on the floor. Along the way down, I hit my side on the corner of the telephone table. Broke the corner off of the table, skinned and bruised my side all the way down, and bruised a rib. Oh, did I mention the rug burns I got when I hit the carpet?!?
Or how about the time, a few months ago, when I managed to drop several bottles of wine in the kitchen. You have no idea what a mess two bottles of merlot make when you shatter them in the kitchen.:eek:

Moe Maishlish

Supporting Actor
I once had a beautiful coffee table, given to me by my parents when I moved out.
About two years ago, my girlfriend was lying on my couch, exhausted from the day, etc. etc. etc. I go to pick her up off the couch, she shifts her weight, I lose my grip, and I take a nice, long, backwards plunge through the coffee table.
Luckily for me, I was wearing a thick wool sweater.
Unluckly for the coffee table, it was made of glass.
I spent a good long time vaccuming up the general area, just to make sure there were no small shards of glass left over that I could conveniently slice my feet on while walking through my living room.
I now have an el-cheap wooden IKEA coffee table, that doesn`t hold a candle to my previous one...
...sigh...
Moe.

Ron Etaylor

Second Unit
I'm naturally inclined to clumsiness, but I've learned to take it a little bit slow, and be extra careful around people/things.

Julian Reville

Screenwriter
I seem to have days when everything I touch turns to sh*t; Mondays seem to be most heavily represented. I was also gifted with wide feet, and invariably when walking around the house barefoot (especially at night, on the way to the bathroom) I will hit my pinky toe on something immovable. The pain, the pain!! I've thought of having them amputated...

Stacey

Stunt Coordinator
I wonder if it is not inheritated...my mom was klutzy and I am certainly just as able to trip over perfectly flat floors and ding my feet or legs on the corner of tables.

My best(?) flub was using a xacto knofe to cut a box open and I went right through the box into my leg.

No, wait, my best, best flub was falling 30 feet away from a red cross rescue station and breaking my leg badly enough to require surgery (along with steel pins and bone grafts).

Brian Harnish

Screenwriter
I guess I'm pretty lucky. My biggest mistake has been hitting my little toe on the metal wheel of my bed (OUCH!) -- that happens a couple times a year. I'm rather amazed that I haven't had to have major surgery on that sucker. I really hate that little toe!! :angry:

Evelio Figueroa

Second Unit
Are you guys sure your clumsy? Check out this site and see if your clumsy or Earthquake Sensitive. :D
Below is from the site.
If you walk into a room and bump into furniture or you go to pour some juice and miss the glass, or go to put sugar in your tea and end up with sugar on the table, you may be clumsy, or you may be a potential biological sensitive..

KimK

Stunt Coordinator
Well there really isn't that many earthquakes in Denmark...so I guess i'm just clumsy :D

Mary M S

Screenwriter
I have what I call 'Klutzy jags', I was always athletic and great sense of balance growing up but every so often for several days in a row, I will be breezing through a doorway for the millionth time and jam a shoulder straight into it or similar body-mind unconnected shenanigans. I have noticed sometimes these spree's seem to coincide with colds or congestion, always wondered if it is an inner ear balance sort of thing.

The worst damage I ever did on one of those days was rushing to pick up the phone and caught my little toe on a baseboard corner piece breaking it. When I looked down it was pointing 90 degrees off from forward. After rocking in a ball on the floor to get past the worst of the pain, I reached down and bent it back! My husband was very impressed with me, he put in in the same category as the time I climbed into the back seat of a 2-door car with my husband and his boss who were in the midst of a big conversation. I reached forward tapped the boss on the shoulder and said, "Excuse me, could you please open the door I believe my thumb is in it". When he opened the door my thumb was completely flat! I was so embarrassed I had 'left' my thumb in the door, - tears were rolling down my face but I would not make a peep.

Scott Van Dyke

Supporting Actor
My mom ran herself over with her own car.
She also pinched all eight fingers is the crack of the garage door on it's way down one time.

I've had my own bad luck as well.

Looks like uncoordination is hereditary

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks