What's new

Clueless until the Rotel 1075 moved in (1 Viewer)

jeff_coil

Stunt Coordinator
Well I have had my new Rotel 1075 in house for a couple of weeks and thought it was time to share my experience’s for both the amp and the Denon 3803 as a pre/pro.

Speakers
Fronts- CDM 9NT’s
Surrounds- CDM 7NT’s
Center- CDM CNT
Sub- SVS 20-39PC+
CD/DVD- Denon 1600

Let me first state that I had always felt the Denon by itself sounded pretty decent especially in movies but 2 channel I felt was lacking something, not loudness just depth. So enter Rotel 1075 beast. (I was contemplating the 1080 as well but that was in a previous thread but decided to get the 1075 now and the monster 1090 later this fall)

First impression- This amp is a monster and heavy I scurried to hook it up and did a quick cal with the internal test tones (to lazy for Avia at this point) Switched the Denon to PD, Sub off, and tossed in Steely Dan. Wow I am thinking what’s that noise, wait a minute that is the sound of guitar strings and tight bass, and normally I would leave the SVS on! I was hearing things I have never heard before, no kidding no hype just deep full sound, Okay lets turn it up a little and it wasn’t getting louder just sounding better. Before at this level with the Denon it felt loud and a bit fatiguing after awhile. Right away my wife was sitting at the bar and said that sounds great!

Ok time for some multi-channel…..DSOTM…Hell yea now my 7NT’s and CNT are getting into the act. My wife and I sat and listened to all of our favorite music over a bottle of wine that evening. To be honest I used to listen to a lot of music and movies but recently it has been music I just can’t get enough, my wife will come downstairs for a beer and I will be sitting in the sweet spot with big grin on my face.

I am not sure what I am more happy with the Amp or the CDM’s no really it is as if I upgraded my speakers too, I had no idea what I was missing and really thought it sounded great before and it did all my friends thought so too.

As far as the Denon as a Pre/Pro I once again think it sounds tremendous, I bought the 3803 knowing I would getting some off board power. The features that the Denon has fits into my needs right now but will soon be bringing a 1066 home for an audition I can’t imagine that it will provide a such an improvement actually I am looking more forward to the 1090 this fall….I may have to push that up a bit. But what do I know I am clueless!

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
Wow ... what a feeling - must have been heaven for your ears. Thanks for sharing your Rotel experience. :)

jeff_coil

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Wayne not sure if it is a Rotel B&W feeling or just the sound of good high current power all I know is I am sitting in the same spot again tonight with a cocktail listening to "heaven" :D

JackS

Supporting Actor
Jeff- You discovered the same thing that many of us have. A mid priced receiver as a pre and an outboard amp is the price/proformance leader. The final step to full blown seperates will not be as nearly satisfying as that addition of the amp. Full seperates will always be something that we will comtemplate and many of us eventually adopt, but the receiver/amp combo can go a long way in delaying this final upgrade and in the meantime, you can be assured that whatevery your missing, it's not that much.

jeff_coil

Stunt Coordinator
So Jack IYO what do you think bringing the 1090 to the table will do vs. 1066 pre/pro? i still think the 9NT's could use a little more go go juice

JackS

Supporting Actor
Jeff- IMO anything you do now will comedown between a minor and major tweak. Certainly anything you do to improve your system would have to be viewed as positive. Weather you decide to add the bigger amp or pre or both, regardless of the absence of the super experience your now having, you'll have the pleasure of knowing that you have taken your setup to the max. This alone would be enough incentive for many here, and could be judged as money well spent. You stated that your speakers sound as if they could stand a little more power. I think I'd try the bigger amp.

I've done the same thing, but on a slightly smaller budget.
I'm using an Outlaw for my preamp and an Acurus 125x5 for the amplifier. I let the Outlaw drive the rear center channel for those movies that have it. I'm quite happy! :)

Legairre

Supporting Actor
Jeff,
When I was using a Denon 3300 receiver as my pre/pro I added a Rotel 1095(5x200) amp and couldn't beleive the difference. Bass was tighter, cleaner and more controlled, and I could hear things in movies and music I never noticed before. Everything was so much more alive.

Since then I've added Rotel RB-1050(2x70) amp for the center backs a Rotel 1066 pre/pro to replace the Denon receiver, but nothing had made the dramatic improvement in my system like the 1095 did. To me the 1095 amp is the best HT purchase I ever made.

Geoge King,
Wow! a blast from my pre/pro shopping days. Good to see you around.:emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks