Clueless Please Help HDTV w/ DISH setup

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by emilyAnn, May 19, 2005.

1. emilyAnn

emilyAnn Auditioning

I know this is super simple to you all but boggles my mind.
    I used to understand this stuff, but that was in the olden times, now with HD etc. etc I am lost.
    I don't know if I route everything thru the Sat then the VCR/DVD combo to the HDTV monitor or otherwise, YIKES,
    Hmm I scanned the back panels of everything I will have to upload them before I can link them here.
    OK it is a Philips HDTV Widescreen with no DVI-HDTV Connection on the back Just Component, and S-Video
    It has space for 2 lines in back in additon to the main one and 3rd hook up for AuX stuff in front.
    The DVD/VCR is pretty standard,
    The DISH 811 has most all of the standard hookup you would expect to find.
    I want to hook this up so I can play and record on the VHS from the Sat and off Air signals. And of course so the DVD will Play.( it does not record. I would like to use as few remotes as possible.
    Is there anywhere I can find a simple to follow diagram, I have looked the DISH book is just concerned with hooking up to the Monitor and the DVD/ VCR book just concerned with hookin up to TV nothing I have found takes into account all three in combination.
    I am begining to believe I will never make sense of this all .
    Any help would be appreciated in the meantime I will try to upload diagrams of the backs of all three units.
    TIA
    emilyann

2. emilyAnn

emilyAnn Auditioning

ok it won't let me link the images til I have more post. now I don't know how to show the images YIKES

3. Dean_S

Dean_S Second Unit

Tell us more since you can't upload the pics.

TV inputs: you have 2 inputs on the rear and one in front. How many are component, s-video, composite???
    DVD: Is it progressive scan (component output)???
    VCR: What types of inputs does it have and how many inputs (s-video or composite)???
    Do you wish to be able to record to the VCR from the DVD player or only from the Dish STB???

4. emilyAnn

emilyAnn Auditioning

Mainly from the Dish and off air don't really care about DVD to tape.
    I hope this makes sense.
    TIA
    emilyann

5. Charlie Campisi

Charlie Campisi Screenwriter

You can't record HD on the VCR. Is that what you are trying to do?
    I am unfamiliar with Dish equip, but I am assuming that the 811 is an HD box. So if you want to use your Sat box to display HD on the television you will have to use one output on the sat box directly to the tv, and another output on the sat box through the dvd/vcr to record SD programming.

6. emilyAnn

emilyAnn Auditioning

Ok so in from the Dish to the 811 reciever one set of lines to dvd/vcr and one to HDmonitor.
    What type of connection for each?? Comp or S-Video, ?? audio??

Sorry so dense here, you might have to dumb it down for me, and take my hand and walk me thru not asking much am I??

7. emilyAnn

emilyAnn Auditioning

Sorry I read that but it didn't sink in SD programming it will record configured this way ,,,,,,sorry just takes me a while.

8. Charlie Campisi

Charlie Campisi Screenwriter

My *guess* is that if you want to watch HD programming, you have to run one connection directly from the 811 to the tv without going through the dvd player. This connection will be component cables (red/blue/green). To use the vcr to record SD programming from the 811, you will have to connect it with composite (yellow) cable to the 811. You then have to connect the dvd player to the tv with component cables, so that you can watch your dvds in 480p progressive scan. This connection may also pass the video from the vcr, but maybe not. If it doesn't, you will have to use the RF out to tv if there is no other option.

That should take care of your video.

For audio, do you have a receiver or just using the tv's speakers? If just the tv, you'll be fine to use the composite audio connections (red/white) from the 811 and the dvd/vcr. If you have a receiver, use those, but also use the digital (either digital coax or optical audio) from the 811 and dvd to the receiver.

Those are the right connections, I think, by your description. There are also menu items, input selections etc that you will have to fiddle with. But we'll get there. [​IMG]

9. emilyAnn

emilyAnn Auditioning

ok now to get busy........

I think I can I think I can Ok first thing tomorrow when I ummmmmmmmm remember to get ink for the printer, :b

I will print this out and give it try.
    Thank's for the help and wow I think I understand [​IMG]