What's new

Clueless about all electronics (1 Viewer)

LaToya0328

Auditioning
Real Name
LaToya Williams
Hi there.....so I will be moving into a bigger home in two weeks and we have an extra room that I want to turn into a tv room for when the kids friends come over. Im not wanting to buy a huge tv for the wall but would much rather use a projector and a drop screen....I don't want to have cable in that room since its cable in all four bedr but I want them to be able to watch regular tv, internet tv (Roku/sling/etc) and play all the game systems we have even and old school Nintendo and Super.....Is this something that's possible??? If so what all do I need to buy???

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Sure. What size is the room? Are you planning on mounting the PJ? How dark can the room get? Will the room be used for other things than video games and streaming? What are you going to do for sound

You could get a pretty killer starter setup by just putting a BenQ 1070 and an XBox on a coffee table and projecting on to a bare wall with a sound bar and a sub. Or you could go whole hog and run cables through walls, mounted PJ and custom seating.

You have to narrow down your goals and vision a bit more for us to help you spend money :)

LaToya0328

Auditioning
Real Name
LaToya Williams
I don't know the size of the room when l get the info I'll let u know.......I want to use an electric drop screen .....i don't really have a budget at this point this was just a small diy I wanted to do for the kids (18,16 and 11) since we have some extra spaces

LaToya0328

Auditioning
Real Name
LaToya Williams
At this point i don't have a budget I haven't thought that far ahead lol i was just planning to buy what I needed and put it together lol

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
If you're doing projection a lot of thought and planning has to go into your decision making. You need to consider the following:
  • Room lighting--this includes windows;
  • Size of screen;
  • Location of screen and seating;
  • Sound--you can use the built-in speaker on a projector, though I wouldn't recommend it;
    [*]Electrical--don't know how old your kids are, but from the sound of it you would like a clean install with as few snaking cables around the room as possible.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Im not wanting to buy a huge tv for the wall but would much rather use a projector and a drop screen....

If I may ask, why? TV's are cheap by comparison until you get into the larger screen sizes. Projectors [as others have mentioned] require careful planning. They also require maintenance such as bulb replacements [sometimes costing more than small TV's] and are quite delicate by comparison.

It's possible but [IMO] not practical for your application.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks