Clueless 10th Anniversary SE

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Jaime_Weinman, Mar 31, 2005.

1. Jaime_Weinman

Jaime_Weinman Supporting Actor

Clueless is one of my favorite movies (the best movie ever made from a Jane Austen novel, period), so when I happened to see Brittany Murphy (Tai) on Good Morning America today, I was happy to hear her mention that there is a 10th Anniversary Special Edition of the film coming out this summer. She said the whole cast did interviews for the special features. Unfortunately she did not proceed to sing the Mentos jingle.

Although the transfer on the bare-bones version is fine, this is worth a second purchase for me.

"Street slang is an increasingly valid form of expression. Most of the feminine pronouns do have mocking, but not necessarily misogynistic undertones." -- Murray (Donald Faison)

2. Bradley-E

Bradley-E Screenwriter

Very Cool. I love that movie.

3. PhilipG

PhilipG Cinematographer

Terrific transfer on the current disc too; the extras will have to be something special for me to double-dip. [​IMG]

4. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

Love this movie. LOVE IT!!!

5. Doug Otte

Doug Otte Supporting Actor

Jane Austen?

Doug

6. Kevin Hewell

Kevin Hewell Cinematographer

I believe "Clueless" is loosely based upon the Austen novel "Emma."

7. Casey Trowbridg

Casey Trowbridg Lead Actor

I'm glad I've held off on the current version then.

8. Doug Otte

Doug Otte Supporting Actor

Thanks, Kevin.

Doug

9. Jaime_Weinman

Jaime_Weinman Supporting Actor

Right, and when I say it's the best movie made from a Jane Austen novel, I really mean it, because in its own way it captures the spirit of Jane Austen better than most literal Austen adaptations. In Clueless, by transplanting the story to a culture and class system that we're familiar with, Amy Heckerling really conveyed Austen's themes about romance and class and a rich girl's dilemma of what to do with her life, in an immediate way that we can all understand, whereas in the actual film version of Emma that came out the next year, the story was embalmed into just another bland costume piece.

Austen apart, though, Clueless has some of the best dialogue of its era and one of the best casts ever assembled for a "teen" movie.

10. Scott Temple

Scott Temple Supporting Actor

So, who's getting this on Tuesday? I'll probably pick it up at Wal*Mart SuperCenter.

Here's a review.

The transfer looks to be definitely improved upon and the transfer on the 1999 disc is not bad by any means. In fact, it looks pretty damn good to my eyes, but this new 2005 transfer looks to be even more pleasing.

The extras seem like a mixed bag to me though. The seven featurettes run for a respectable total of 62 minutes and 29 seconds and the trailer and teaser trailer from the original disc are included, but it seems like they should have done more. First, Alicia Silverstone didn't do any new interviews for this DVD. That really sucks when you consider that, uh, she's the STAR of the film. I'm wondering how this happened. I am aware that she just got married a month or two ago, but most likely, these interviews were recorded several months ago. Second, why no commentary track? A track with Amy Heckerling, Alicia Silverstone, and Brittany Murphy (or just Heckerling and Murphy since Silverstone was obviously unavailable) would have been great. I don't know if any deleted scenes exist, but if they do we missed out.

11. rutger_s

rutger_s Supporting Actor

Jim Carrey did not do new new interviews for The Truman Show. The interviews were from the 1998 press interviews.

Demi Moore and Whoopi Goldberg did not do new interviews for Ghost. Patrick Swayze did but Moore and Goldberg were the on-the-set interviews from 1989.

Both Kelly McGillis and Anthony Edwards were absent from the documentary for Top Gun.

And even Michael Caine is missing from The Italian Job documentaries.

Trust me, it could be worse...

Think about the documentary for a pair of cult classics that only has a new interview with ONE star and that's the only talent interview in the whole 30min doc.

12. Magnus T

Magnus T Supporting Actor

Alex Winter?

13. David Ruiz

David Ruiz Second Unit

The DVDtalk review is confusing. The reviewer claims that the picture is noticeably SOFTER, which to me means, LESS DETAIL, but then goes on to say that "the level of detail has been bumped up." He mentions of the softness at least 3 times, so how it could be so soft and yet have more detail than the previous release? I'm very confused.

And for the record, I just wanted to state my disappointment for the transfer on the current DVD. I know people have claimed it to be a "reference" transfer, but I see nothing impressive about it. [​IMG]

14. Eric Emma

Eric Emma Supporting Actor

I really liked this film back when it came out and watch it quite a bit then and a couple of episodes of the TV show, but seeing as how I was like 7 or 8 back when this came out, and the last time I saw it had to be when I was like 12, I'm wondering if I should blind-buy it since many movies from my childhood don't quite hold up today as they did back then...

15. Cory H.

Cory H. Stunt Coordinator

I just flipped my old copy upon learning of this one. Commentary would have been nice, but considering virtually everyone in that film blew up (Murray, Faison, Rudd, Dash) a group effort wasn't much more than a pipe dream.

16. Magnus T

Magnus T Supporting Actor

Buy it. Clueless is not just another teenage fluff, coming of age comedy. Clueless is actually in the 1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die book, so it's definitely above average.

17. TedD

TedD Supporting Actor

Many people are confused about the words "Sharpness" (the opposite term to softness, i.e. less sharp = softer) and "Detail" which refer to two totally different attributes of a video image.

Sharpness refers to how "hard" the edges of an object appear.

Detail refers to the ability to clearly see very small objects and details in an image.

A "sharp" image is probably that way because some misguided telecinist or mastering engineer watching a 12" monitor changed a setting that should never have been changed (the video peaking control).

Or, in a misguided attempt to fit more running time on a data contrained environment like DVD, that person decided to remove all or most of the high frenquency information from the video signal to enable a higher comression rate. Of course after doing that, the image looked pretty poor on his 12" monitor, so he cranked up the peaking control to compensate.

"Cold Mountain" comes to mind as a prime example of this kind of transfer.

Of course what he didn't realize (because he never took the time to view his handiwork on a large display) is that the result is that anyone with a reasonably sized projected image gets to view his handiwork, containing horrible edge enhancement (ringing) and a total lack of fine detail in the image!

So it's very possible for an image to be less sharp (NO edge enhancement) and also contain more detail (lower comression rate, widest possible video bandwidth and no high frequency filtering.

Ted

18. andrew markworthy

With respect, it doesn't. If you equate Jane Austen with the priviledged classes, then you are very far of the mark. The situation in Jane Austen's time was very different and far more precarious, as spelt out in the excellent Emma Thompson screenplay for Sense and Sensibility.

Jane Austen's novels deal with women who because of their social position had to act like ladies from the leisured classes but were often in precarious financial positions. They were barred from working and so their only hope of a penury-free future was to marry well. They couldn't just hope that when daddy died they would inherit, because property nearly always went to male descendents, no matter how distant (this is a central theme of Pride and Prejudice, Sense and Sensibility and for that matter most of the other novels). Emma may appear an airhead in Jane Austen's novel, but her very real plight (that she would end up on the shelf and ultimately would be fairly poor) would be an undercurrent so obvious to Jane Austen's contemporary readers that she never thought it necessary to spell it out.

In contrast, the characters in Clueless are all comfortably off on trust funds. They can flunk school, spend their time at the mall rather than study, but they will still be alright, because they have wealth to fall back on and family connections to see them through.

This doesn't mean that Clueless is a bad adaptation - it isn't. There are a lot of clever references to the novel which non-Austen addicts will miss, but which give an added frisson to the film. And even if you've never read any of Jane Austen's works in your life, the film is still hugely enjoyable. However, it is not faithful in spirit to the original. Arguably the best adaptation of JA to date in spirit is either the aforementioned Sense and Sensibility or Mansfield Park. There is also an excellent BBC adaptation of Persuasion.

19. ZacharyTait

ZacharyTait Cinematographer

A great quote from the movie:

Amber: Ms. Stoeger, my plastic surgeon doesn't want me doing any activity where balls fly at my nose.

Dionne: Well, there goes your social life.

[​IMG]

20. Mike Wadkins

Mike Wadkins Supporting Actor

a fantastic movie the lack of extras is holding my double dip