Club Dread

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Neil M, Feb 27, 2004.

1. Neil M

Neil M Stunt Coordinator

I'm surprised no one has started a review thread on this movie. I managed to catch a sneak preview last night. Overall, this is a good parody of horror movies. Not the best I've seen, but there are plenty of laughs. I won't ruin any of the moments here. I really can't compare it to Supertroopers because it's a different type of movie in many aspects but I will say that if you are expecting Supertroopers 2, you may be disappointed. In all honesty, I think this is better than any of the Scary Movie films as far as horror parody goes. I definitely recommend this movie. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] /[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises Lead Actor

Thanks for the review. I was going to check it out anyway, but at least I'll know what to expect. Was Bill Paxton any good?

3. Neil M

Neil M Stunt Coordinator

Bill Paxton is actually very funny in this movie. I was expecting a small role from him, but he plays a substantial role as Coconut Pete.

4. Paul>Wh

Paul>Wh Agent

Kind of funny, but just seemed to miss it. Though it did seem to grow on me as the movie went on. At first I was really hating it, but towards the end I was feeling the flow of the movie I guess you could say. Guess I was looking for S.T. 2. I would say 2 out of 4 stars if I had to vote.

5. Justin_S

Justin_S Producer

This movie was fantastic! Seriously, I haven't laughed this much at a movie in a long, long time! Much better than Super Troopers IMO. The comedy was spot on. Everyone else in the theater seemed to be having a good time with it as well. There's also a decent amount of gore, and the film has the feel of a traditional slasher, just with all the far out situations and comedy included.

The cast is great. Bill Paxton is hilarious with his songs and funky 70s attitude. The gorgeous Jordan Ladd from Cabin Fever is perfect in her oddball role, and her nude scene is a major highlight. Brittany Daniels is good as the main heroine, and the rest of the cast who play the island staff are truly downright hilarious, especially Paxton's nephew, the octopus-haired guy who has the hots for Daniels but can't have her, and Ladd's love interest, Juan.

Seriously, I had an outstanding time with this film! This has to be one of my new favorite comedies without a doubt. I really wasn't expecting this to be as good as it was, but damn, it rocked! I'll have to think about the rating, but I'm aiming towards a perfect one, as this is comedy gold if you ask me.

6. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    i remember seeing the previews for super troopers, and thinking "stupid stoner comedy, i wont like it". they used way too much of those kids in the previews. well, someone finally talked me into seeing it when it first came out on dvd, and i laughed my ass off, a lot of very funny parts. now i am looking forward to seeing club dread, even though the previews look less than hilarious to me. as far as i am concerned, super troopers ranks just as high as dumb and dumber in terms of screwball comedies. probably even higher. the only thing that saves dumb and dumber is cam neely!

CJ

7. Matthew Chmiel

Matthew Chmiel Cinematographer

I enjoyed the film, but it was no Super Troopers. Not at all.

While Super Troopers was mostly hit with it's jokes, Club Dread has it's share of hits and misses when it comes to the jokes in the film. The problem I had with the film is within the third act where the film didn't know if it wanted to be a slasher or a comedy. Yet, the first two acts (not perfectly) blended the two genres. I liked the film, but I've seen funnier this year (Eurotrip and The Girl Next Door come to mind). I just thank God it was better than Starsky and Hutch.

It was also nice to see USA High's Elena Lyons (the brown hair girl in the beginning) topless, especially after liking her when I was a pre-teen. [​IMG]

8. Justin_S

Justin_S Producer

I really didn't find Super Troopers all that funny. It was okay, but from the previews, I expected it to be far funnier. I still think Club Dread surpasses it by far, and while I liked Eurotrip, I think Club Dread was quite a bit funnier than it as well. I'm dying to see The Girl Next Door because of my Elisha, and it looks pretty funny itself.

9. Jay W.

Jay W. Stunt Coordinator

I thought it was a load of crap. I let out 3 mild chuckles during it. I never tought it was going to be over. The screening I was at maybe had 9 people in it and they didnt laugh much either. I think I'll skip ever seeing Super Troopers if this is the best these guys can do. I have a feeling Student Bodies (1981) will always be the ultimate horror spoof.

10. Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises Lead Actor

It's good to see young Matthew Chmiel grow up. sniffles. They do so so fast. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Paul_Medenwaldt

Paul_Medenwaldt Supporting Actor

I think my expectations were high for Club Dread. I really enjoyed Super Troopers more then I thought I would.

Club Dread started out like it had potential, but it turned into just another slasher film. I didn't really see too much parody in the movie, which I was expecting a great deal of. The ending just kept going, it wouldn't...end. It seemed to drag on and on and on like this explanation.

I enjoyed the humor, but thought it wasn't as gutbusting as Super Troopers. Bill Paxton I thought did a great job as Coconut Pete and stole the movie in the scene where everyone was around the campfire and a gal yells to him to sing Margaritaville.

Don't go in expecting Super Troopers 2, go in expecting Club Dread.

Paul