What's new

Club Dread Unrated - September 28th (1 Viewer)

Chris Rein

Stunt Coordinator
Is this movie better than Super Troopers? As much as I wanted to enjoy (read laugh) at this movie, I simply couldn't. I think the best part in Super Troopers where I actually laughed out loud was the speed trap/five knuckle shuffle bit.

Anyway, after hearing how funny Super Troopers was, and I didn't think it was good by any means, I wrote off anything by Broken Lizards. So, just curious if this is better or worse than Super Troopers.

Martin_T

Stunt Coordinator
I really enjoyed Club Dread, much more than Super Troopers actually. Since I picked up the Club disc cheap (used), I will not whine too loudly about double dipping on this one. :)

Sven Lorenz

Supporting Actor
I got the DVD earlier this week.

The 'Unrated' label is nonsense - there's only a very small very tame gore scene back in and no additional nudity.

The main part of the additional 15 minutes is a 10-minute segment in the middle in which two cops visit the island.

The rest consists of various small extensions or short scenes throughout the movie.

The audio commentaries are 90% the same - only with added parts for the new footage and some different comments during some scenes (they removed all the talk about the scenes that were cut in the theatrical version).

The director says early on in the commentary that the theatrical version is the Director's Cut and that this is only an extended version with all the scenes they liked but had to cut for pacing put back in.

For some reason the 'Deleted Scenes' section also includes all the scenes that were reintegrated into the extended version.

I'm not sure which version of the movie is better - the part with the cops is pointless and the other extensions are not worth much either. They don't hurt the movie but they don't add anything either.

Picture quality is better than the original release.

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
Wait, so let me get this straight:

The deleted scenes section on the DVD only contains the additional footage added back into the extended cut? Or does it also have additional footage? Broken Lizard has said on numerous occasions, the original cut ran almost two and a half hours (whereas the theatrical cut runs 105 minutes and this new version runs almost 120 minutes).

My copy shipped on Thursday, but from the sounds of it, this DVD sounds like a fucking total dip with the only additions being the deleted scenes.

Fucking Fox. What the hell ever happened to them?

Sven Lorenz

Supporting Actor
The deleted scenes section consists of both the scenes that were added back into the movie (15 minutes) AND additional deleted scenes (about 20 minutes).

So the extended cut and the additional deleted scenes would make about 2 hours and twenty minutes.

Jesse Blough

Second Unit
Hm decisions, decisions...

They state that the theatrical version is their preferred cut but..

"Picture quality is better than the original release."

:frowning: Now I don't know what to do... Preferred cut or better video quality... Gah.

Sven Lorenz

Supporting Actor
Don't take my opinion on the quality too serious - it's not a big difference, only a few instances of blocking that caught my eye in the original DVD are gone.

Joe6pack99

Second Unit
Real Name
Jarett
i rented this thought it was horrible. Regardless though i hate seeing second releases so fast after the initial one comes out, especially unannounced.

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
Sven, thanks. I was going to be pissed off if Fox pussied out on us. Then again, I'm already pissed off that Fox announced the "Unrated" release a mere month after the theatrical cut DVD was released.

There was no reason the film had to come to DVD exactly three months after it's theatrical release. I could've easily waited an additional month or two to get my hands on a special edition then pay $20 for a bare bones edition and then get told a new release was coming out a few weeks after I paid for it.

Damnit, why did I have to like this film so much? Grrr.

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
So my DVD arrived today and I've spent time after class checking the disc out.

Pros:
1. The transfer on this disc is slightly better than the original movie-only edition. It might be for the fact they put it on a dual-layered disc and removed the French and Spanish language tracks.
2. The disc includes all the deleted material. The deleted scenes feature, using play all, runs 48 minutes. Fifteen minutes of the material in the feature (as Sven mentioned) are supplied in the new extended cut present on the DVD.
3. The DVD also includes the original (and terrible) theatrical trailer.

Cons:
1. The theatrical cut is a superior edit of the film. The additional footage inserted into the film does not add up to much and sometimes is just not needed. I would've liked the theatrical cut to have all these special features and just not have the extended cut.
2. Why is there a brief featurette for Alien Vs. Predator on here?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks