Clown loach Q&A

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Clinton McClure, Jun 19, 2003.

1. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast
    Supporter

Clint
    What do you feed your clown loach and when? I want to get one and I'd like to know beforehand what's the best food to feed them and when should they be fed. I've seen small discs in the LFS formulated specifically for loaches and bottomfeeders. How does this compare to brine shrimp bloodworms, etc...?

2. Mark Barnhill

Mark Barnhill Stunt Coordinator

hmmm.. I never made any specific feedings for my clown loaches in particular, I usually just fed flaked food 80% of the time, with frozen brine shrimp, glass worms, and tubifex making up the balance. They seemed to thrive just fine!

3. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    I feed my clown loaches plain ole regular flake food. My clowns have absolutely no fear and have no problem at the top fighting with my Angelfish for the flakes. They're weird that way. I also will feed them shrimp pellets and also cucumbers (rubber banded to a rock). One can also raise snails and feed them that, they like 'em!

Don't feed them too much bloodworms, supposedly they're high in fat.

Jay

P.S. Try the cucumber idea, they seem to LOVE them. I usually peel off the skin, pick out the seeds, and rubber band it to a rock, the next morning, ALL the soft insides are gone and eventually the whole slice is gone...

4. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

I was told that clowns should be bought in at minimum pairs, otherwise they get depressed. I think they just eat regular food, and they can get pretty big when full grown.

5. Ryan Wright

Ryan Wright Screenwriter

Well, they certainly won't eat small round food! I was feeding all of my fish these little round pellets (works better in the automatic fish feeder than flake food) and my clowns nearly starved to death. A couple of months after I bought them, they were really thin and looking pretty poor. I also lost two Gobi cats (out of 4) that wouldn't/couldn't eat the floating pellets.

I feed my clowns (& Gobi cats) shrimp pellets. Once a night I toss a few in there. They can't eat them right away, they have to wait a bit until the pellets soften up in the water, but as soon as that happens they gobble them.

6. Mark Barnhill

Mark Barnhill Stunt Coordinator

Yea, sometimes you can get fish with peculiar eating habits. Just experiment and I'm sure you'll keep them happy. Good luck.

7. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast
    Supporter

Clint
    Thanks for the info guys! [​IMG]

8. StephenA

StephenA Screenwriter

Clown loaches also love black worms. I would reccommend having at least 5 clown loaches though. You can get away with fewer, but I've found that in schooling fish that 5 or more always seems to best with them. Clown loaches can get at least 6 inches and upwards of 12 inches, but it takes them a long time.