1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Cloverfield Paradox: Cloverfield 3 surprise release on Netflix after Super Bowl

Discussion in 'Movies' started by WillG, Feb 4, 2018.

1. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    Yes, really. Come to MD, have your mind blown by a 6 year old projector.

2. WillG

WillG Producer

Just finished watching it.....eh.....I can see why Paramount decided to sell it to Netflix as opposed to a theatrical release. I don't think it would have worked. Way too derivative of "Sunshine", "Life", "Event Horizon" and even "Alien"

So question, They fire the Shepherd, it takes them to an alternative universe. Then the fire it again, and it takes them back to their original universe (with 20 mile tall Cloverfield monsters). Or is that just a third universe?

3. Tino

Tino Executive Producer
    Supporter

Valentino
    I enjoyed it. Looked and sounded great. Top notch production values and visual effects.

Kinda dopey but fun.

benbess likes this.
  4. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell Played With Dinosaurs Member

Johnny Angell
    Good cast, good productions values, but the movie still didn't interest me to much.

Yeah, I feel the same.

Somewhere I got the impression (It was the SB trailer wasn't it?) that this movie explained the existence of the Cloverfield monster. Shit no.

The movie starts with a global power crisis, the world is going to hell in a hand basket unless that particle generator works. I recall no power crisis in Cloverfield. There are no monsters in either uverse shown. Where'd the one at the end come from? Without the glimpse of the monster at the end, there's no connection to Cloverfield.

Had I gone to the theater based on that trailer, I'd feel mislead and a little pissed.

5. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    Netflix actually sent me a survey about this and I said roughly the same thing. Great visuals and Atmos, generic story

6. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    Well, not really.

7. sleroi

sleroi Second Unit

Gavin Kopp
  8. Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek Producer

Joel Henderson
    I believe the next question is how does this effect the imminent release of Cloverfield 4 (aka "Overlord" coming this October)

9. JohnRice

JohnRice Lead Actor

John
    What annoys me is the trailer clearly stated this was a continuation of the original movie, but from everything I've read, it isn't that at all.

Johnny Angell and Malcolm R like this.
  10. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    This seems to be the new trend. Instead of dumping these castoffs into theaters in "off" months such as January or September, the studios just sell them directly to streaming. From The Hollywood Reporter:

11. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell
    Ok, I’m a sucker. I’ll watch it.

George_W_K likes this.
  12. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell
    Say wha? Is it already in the can? Maybe they’ll finall make a real sequel to Cloverfield. 10CL was a good movie but didn’t satisfy my desires for another Cloverfield.

EricSchulz likes this.
  13. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell
    BTW,
    How does a hand separated from it’s owner manage to write a message?

14. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    This movie started off pretty good but the second and thrd act not so much.
    Was actually really boring towards the end.

So many dopey things going on like the disembodied arm and the women in the wall.
    The Ship drowning and freezinfg someone.

Take out the two appearances of the Monster and this movie has no connection to the original.

Why do they refuse to make a true follow up to the first movie? I just don't get it.

It's really close to being a movie that was already made and someone decided to film a couple things to throw in there to connect it.

15. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell
    Yes, exactly.

16. George_W_K

George_W_K Screenwriter

George
    Kinda how I felt about The Raid 2. It felt like they had a script for a movie, but quickly tied it to the first one to ride its coattails.

17. Message #57 of 61 Feb 9, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
    WillG

WillG Producer

So I guess my therory is

movie starts in the Lane universe (apparently the conspiracy guy in the beginning is Howard from Lane's brother) sometime before the alien attack. Movie ends with them in the Cloverfield monster universe.

Only flaw is that in Lane there's no mention of any energy crisis, maybe they solved it.

18. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

Given that it was a Paramount production that got offloaded to Netflix at the last minute, I'm guessing that Paramount retained rights for physical media and digital purchases. But given that Netflix paid enough to instantly put this production in the black for Paramount, I'm guessing they negotiated a very lengthy window of exclusivity. So I would bet at least a year and probably a few years before this shows up elsewhere.

I'm curious as to whether this was finished in 4K or 2K. I'm betting the latter since 1080P is the max available resolution and most Netflix Originals are available to stream in 4K. Regardless, it did indeed look stellar. One of the best streaming experiences I've had.

I think this is the movie that explains the other two movies: The particle accelerator overloading is what tore holes in space-time and allowed the monsters through. There are small tie-ins to both of the other movies, but I think all three are set in different universes, and I think the holes that the particle accelerator tore open appeared at different times in different universes.

That being said, because they are parallel universes, many of the same people exist. Suzanne Cryer plays the same character in this and 10 Cloverfield Lane -- a woman named Leslie. But here, she's a composed and put together news achor, while in 10 Cloverfield Lane she was a crazed woman trying to get into the bunker.

Donal Logue's prescient conspiracy theorist here has the same last name as John Goodman's character in 10 Cloverfield Lane. Are they brothers? Cousins? It seems a very intentional choice to give them the same last name.

Both this and 10 Cloverfield Lane have Kelvin-branded gas stations, a brand that doesn't exist in the real world.

I think this movie is near-future -- probably at least a decade but probably less than a century.

It's hard to say because of the limited time we spend outside the bunker, but 10 Cloverfield Lane was contemporary or near contemporary, judging by Michelle's smartphone.

There are some indications that the original Cloverfield took place in 2008, while the alignment of the dates and the days of the week point to it taking place in 2009.

So the particle accelerator overload didn't just mess up the two Paradox universes, but also many others through various points in time.

Jeff Cooper, Tino and Sam Posten like this.
  19. Jeff Cooper

Jeff Cooper Screenwriter

It looked to me that when they fired it the first time it took them from universe A to B, but at the same time did exactly what the conspiracy theorist said would happen and let the monsters into universe A. Then at the end, they fired it again and returned to universe A, but the monsters have been ravaging in the time that they were gone.

Actually, this is exactly what happened. Original script was called 'God Particle' before JJ got involved and added in the Earth scenes which link it to Cloverfield.

20. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell
    That would explain the lack of a good Cloverfield fix from the movie. It's not a Cloverfield movie.

George_W_K likes this.