What's new

Cloverfield Paradox: Cloverfield 3 surprise release on Netflix after Super Bowl (1 Viewer)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Hey, I'm not saying I'm right and everyone is wrong, and maybe it is a distinction without a difference. To me, it matters but I recognize that I may be a dinosaur in that regard :)

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Called it (especially the 4th qtr/post game "available now" promo)

Though yeah, no connection to the original. And I still have to wonder about the quality. A movie with JJs name on it on Netflix as opposed to a theatrical release....questionable.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Watching it now. Seems interesting so far. Movie-level production values and cast.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Watching it now. Seems interesting so far. Movie-level production values and cast.
Wasn't it intended to be a theatrical release? Netflix spends insane amounts of money so I'm sure they just paid Paramount a ton of dough to forego the theaters and have it be an exclusive. It makes sense for Paramount, they make all their money right out of the gate and don't even have to spend a dime on an ad campaign.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Wasn't it intended to be a theatrical release? Netflix spends insane amounts of money so I'm sure they just paid Paramount a ton of dough to forego the theaters and have it be an exclusive. It makes sense for Paramount, they make all their money right out of the gate and don't even have to spend a dime on an ad campaign.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I does make me question the quality
The counterargument is that Netflix felt strongly enough about it to spend $10 million to promote it with this stunt.

I've got "Counterpart" and "This Is Us" and then bed tonight. But it's definitely on my watch list for this week. One of the Star Trek: Beyond co-writers was responsible for the screenplay, Gugu Mbatha-Raw, David Oyelowo, Daniel Brühl and Elizabeth Debicki are all big screen talent, and Donal Logue is among the finest actors working in television today (even though "Gotham" doesn't often give him a great showcase for that.)

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Silly sci fi suspense/horror flick. Enjoyed it. B-grade TV movie in terms of writing, with some movie-level effects, sets, and cast.

Last edited:

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
So do productions like this typically get physical releases? Or is Netflix the only option?
It may be 6 months to a year away, after whatever window Netflix negotiated, but I'd expect this to get a disc release eventually.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
And I still have to wonder about the quality. A movie with JJs name on it on Netflix as opposed to a theatrical release....questionable.
It was produced by Paramount for theatrical release. But NetFlix bought it instead.

EDIT: I missed that this had already been discussed.

Last edited:

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Man guys, does it really matter what screen it was made for or released to first?
Not in my book. Plus, I'm thinking of movies that studio execs hated and thought needed fixing. Brazil and Once Upon a Time in America come immediately to mind. Oh yeah, what were some other ones? Citizen Kane and The Magnificent Ambersons. Maybe someone has heard of them.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I will pay $20 cash to anyone who can tell me whether this is a disk or stream when played at 120" on my projected screen. It looks great. You guys can be all smug in your self righteousness, the rest of the world will move on watching good content regardless of source.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
While I've always been happy with Netflix on my system, I think the quality can vary greatly depending on your location, accessibility, and ISP. Not everyone has access to, or can afford, high-speed broadband service.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I will pay $20 cash to anyone who can tell me whether this is a disk or stream when played at 120" on my projected screen. It looks great. You guys can be all smug in your self righteousness, the rest of the world will move on watching good content regardless of source.

Really? :unsure:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Sam, PM me and I'll send you my address :D

I would like Netflix to look identical to discs on my 100" screen but it does not. I'd say on my 50" TV they look about the same. On the 100" screen, Netflix is very, very, very watchable but looks a little "thin" compared to discs.

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
Not in my book. Plus, I'm thinking of movies that studio execs hated and thought needed fixing. Brazil and Once Upon a Time in America come immediately to mind. Oh yeah, what were some other ones? Citizen Kane and The Magnificent Ambersons. Maybe someone has heard of them.

This movie is no where near those movies.

If I had bought a ticket to see this, I'd be disappointed. Watching on Netflix, it was ok. Sounded great and I don't have Atmos yet. The sound is what kept me going.

The first two Cloverfield were fun, didn't get that vibe with this one.

One thing I thought was funny, though, was the principal in Interstellar who was telling Cooper that the world needs farmers, is the here trying to save the world through technology.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks