Closing of threads

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian Johnson, Dec 9, 2002.

1. Brian Johnson

Brian Johnson Supporting Actor

I personally havent had one closed. But was reading http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=110329 which was, I thought, a very good thread. But for some reason, it was locked. I know the thread started to turn sideways but maybe an explanation post as to why you are locking it would be nice. I'm not talking about just this post, but for every post that is locked.
    Just a thought.

2. Thi Them

Thi Them Producer

I agree that a reason should be stated for closing a thread. Last week, I posted in a thread about small TV recommendations (http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=110111), and I was perplexed as to why it was closed. A reason will do a better job of discouraging similar future threads/posts than no reason at all.
    ~T

3. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

4. Thi Them

Thi Them Producer

I talked to Jack about that thread last week.

I think it'd be less of a hassle to simply post an explanation than to have the moderator receive and respond to emails or PMs. And like I said before, it'll help in preventing threads/posts that will be closed.

~T

5. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

6. Martin Fontaine

Martin Fontaine Supporting Actor

One practice that annoys me even more is when a thread is moved and when you click on it, it asks for a password! WTF?

Even without explanation, just reading the last few posts I can usually understand why a thread was closed but sometimes, you cna't even do that.

Not that I would dissagree with a mod closing a thread or something but it's just the principle that makes me cringe. You know, when there is a riot or something, and some police officers are blocking the way, when you ask them why they could just tell you politely why, without necessarly go into detail instead of the "We block the way just to piss you off"-style response we get. That attitude just gete me angry to the highest point possible.

7. Frank Anderson

Frank Anderson Cinematographer

8. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    Martin:

Any time you get that message it means that you are going to an area of the forum that is only accessable to the administrative staff. Otherwise, if it was deleted, it will just say that the link to the thread is no longer valid. I try to go in every once in awhile and remove all the redirects after they have been up for a couple of days.

I have also changed the closed message to:

Thread closed by (insert admins name here) on X day and time.
    Contact this adminstrator with any questions regarding this closure.

Hopefully this will give members the person to get in contact with concerning the closure of a particular thread.

Parker

9. Martin Fontaine

Martin Fontaine Supporting Actor

Parker: When a thread gets moved into that restricted area, we don't even know who closed it. This is especially annoying if it's a thread I was participating in and then I come the next day and not only was it closed, but I have no way of knowing why.

For threads with Title such as "I found Star Wars on DVD Here!" or "How do I make copies of DVDs I rent?" then it's obvious so it doesn't bother me at all, but sometimes, it just seems rude to just make the thread unavailable and say "We moved it just to piss you off" (That's how this password needed thing sounds to me)

A recent example is the thread called "Go Phillies" not that I was reading it or anything, but judging by the title it's probably about a sports team (I don't follow sport, so I don't know if it's Hockey, Football or what) but anyway, just that the thread gets pulled out instead of seeing "Post removed by Admin" in the offending posts followed by a post from an admin stating that the thread was closed.

It's a bit like when Ron said that Columbia Tri-Star asked him not to tell us why they release catalog titles in Full Screen only. It's flame bait. If they'd tell us why, ok, we would still boycott FS DVDs, but at least knowing why we wouldn't resolve to calling them names like someone pointed out.

10. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Martin,
    Sorry, but there will always be some threads that crossed the line in such a way that they will be removed from general viewing.

Crawdaddy

11. Kevin P

Kevin P Screenwriter

Perhaps when a thread is moved into the moderator's area its link should be removed from the forum that originally hosted the thread? After all, if a thread shouldn't be viewable, there shouldn't be a link to it, right?

I assume when a thread is moved that the link from the old location is optional, right?

KJP

12. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    Kevin,
    That's right. And don't forget that we sometimes temporarily close a thread for the sake of reviewing, but leave the option for a while to reopen it.
    And yes, a link isn't very useful if the thread is to be removed, but in a case like that the moderator may have considered it a service to leave a visible trace.
    We just decided, however, not to do that anymore now. So if you see it in the future, it will be a mistake. [​IMG]
    Cees