What's new

Closer - only a Superbit version? (1 Viewer)

Chris Bergmann

Second Unit
Several sites are reporting that (the first release of) Closer will only be a Superbit edition.

I think that's very disappointing - we all know that there is going to be a real edition somewhere down the line with deleted scenes, audio commentaries and so on.

So why release the Superbit edition first and the real edition later?

I guess they realized that too few people fell for the Superbit concept and now they are trying to make people buy them by releasing them first and forcing fans of the movie to either wait for the real edition or buy the same movie twice.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Unless you buy into the "superbit" concept (and I don't), this is no different from releasing a barebones version and then a subsequent "special edition". We've seen it many times, from a variety of studios.

It's also wouldn't be the first time Columbia spruced up a barebones edition by labeling it a "superbit". Panic Room comes to mind.

M.

Chris Bergmann

Second Unit
It's Columbia Tristar - it's likely they already have tons of extras finished and are just not putting them on this edition.

And anyone hoping for THOSE deleted scenes will be out of luck anyway - Nichols cut them from the movie and he's not going to put them on the DVD.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Off the top of my head, I can remember at least one Nichols commentary track (for Catch-22). And in any case, most special edition work is done by a DVD producer, not the director.

Of course, if the disc doesn't sell, there may never be a special edition.

M.

Jeff Whitford

Screenwriter
I think "fell for" should be replaced with bought into. "Fell for" insinuates that we are stupid & fell for something imaginary. There are alot of suberbit discs that look and sound better than their regular counterparts. That doesnt mean there arent discs out there that have top notch picture & sound quality which arent labled as superbit. I.E. Im not starting the superbit vs non superbit war.

Jim Harvey

Second Unit
Is the movie's theatrical trailer on this release? Recently saw the movie...loved it...and I'm just curious what's on this Superbit release.

CraigL

Screenwriter
As someone who has been examining how much space Superbits actually take up, there is still room on most (if not all) superbits for a couple of extras without compromising quality. I haven't encountered any that take up ALL of the discs space even without extras.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I'm still waiting on the non-Superbit special edition of Adaptation! :)

(I'm also still waiting on a Closer screener to review. :angry:)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i didnt think the closer sb looked all that super.
i thnk it looked just, good.
could have been alot sharper i think.
or maybe it looked soft in the theater.

plus for what it's worth the bit rate was around 7, occasionally going as low as 6, for much of the movie.

ok now that i;ve finished watching, maybe it wasn't such a normal transfer after all.
during the a scene in the strip club it was easy to see a,(pause) "covering" when alice
moves something to the side,
so another character can see what is there.

the movie itself was great.
what a way to end a movie.

clayton b

Stunt Coordinator
I read somewhere that not only were the full frontal scenes cut from the movie, but the negatives of said scene were actually destroyed.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks