Closed Caption Decoders

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Jeff Jacobson, Jun 20, 2004.

1. Jeff Jacobson

Jeff Jacobson Cinematographer

My grandma has an older TV that does not have built-in support for Closed Captions, so I would like to get a Closed-Caption Decoder.

What kinds of features should I look for, or what brands/models do you recommend.

When I searched online, all the decoders I found were over $100. The used ones on e-bay seem to be going for about $10~$30. Are the ones on E-bay any good?

2. Jeff Jacobson

Jeff Jacobson Cinematographer

My grandma has an older TV that does not have built-in support for Closed Captions, so I would like to get a Closed-Caption Decoder.

What kinds of features should I look for, or what brands/models do you recommend.

When I searched online, all the decoders I found were over $100. The used ones on e-bay seem to be going for about $10~$30. Are the ones on E-bay any good?

3. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

I don't know if they still make outboard decoders anymore, since for over 10 years they've been required to be built-in to sets. I saw a couple decoders from the early 80s at a thrift store recently; I was going to pick one up just for a museum piece- they had tuners built-in (with the huge dials) so I guess they worked like a VCR without the VCR part.

4. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

I don't know if they still make outboard decoders anymore, since for over 10 years they've been required to be built-in to sets. I saw a couple decoders from the early 80s at a thrift store recently; I was going to pick one up just for a museum piece- they had tuners built-in (with the huge dials) so I guess they worked like a VCR without the VCR part.