Closed Caption Decoders for dvd - Help needed...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Antonio Silva, Nov 5, 2002.

1. Antonio Silva

Antonio Silva Stunt Coordinator

Hi,

I don't know if this is possible but here it goes...

I'm looking for a Closed Caption decoder who works with dvd. As i live in Europe i can't display the Closed Captions included in R1 dvds. Although not essential, English subtitles are a great help for me, so i was wondering if some of you fellow HTF members knew if this is possible and where could i order a Closed Caption decoder for dvd. I've found two manufacturers in europe who sell Closed Caption decoders, but they told me that those only work with VHS.

I'm aware that in the USA, the decoding is done by the tv sets, but i'm sure there are alternatives. If my pc can display them, there must be something out there that will enable me to display them on my tv set.

Your help would be appreciated,

Thanks, António

2. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    Unless I misunderstood the question, DVDs are software that either have or don't have subtitles in particular languages. You can only retrieve what is on the software. Closed caption machines with TV pick-up what is broadcast by the TV station so if the broadcast has closed-captioning you get it and if it doesn't you don't.

3. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    If you are just trying to display included subtitles, just get a cheap Region 1 player along with a voltage converter and use that.

4. Antonio Silva

Antonio Silva Stunt Coordinator

Hi Phil,

Thanks for the answer. What i'm trying to display on my tv are the Closed Captions that are encoded on R1 dvds (Line 21 i believe). For example, if i play my Sopranos dvds on my dvd player, i can't display the Closed Captions, because neither my dvd player or television includes a Closed Caption decoder (i'm in Europe, which makes it even worse, different system and all that). On the other hand, if i play them on my pc, i can display them, probably because the software includes a Closed Caption decoder.

Now what i would like to get is a Closed Caption decoder that would enable me to display the encoded Closed Captions on my tv.

I don't know if this is possible or if a Closed Caption decoder exists for dvd, so any help from you or other HTF members would be great,

Thanks, António

5. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil