What's new

Close Encounters of the Third Kind - November 13th (1 Viewer)

DeeF

Screenwriter
I just watched my newly purchased BD of Close Encounters tonight.

The film is superb, but I sure had problems with the disk, many scenes out of sync, sound dropouts, etc.

I'm using the new Pioneer player, which may have some kinks. But I also tried it in my older Samsung player, and I noticed many of the same problems.

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Felix E. Martinez

No probs with the Panny BD-30. I saw it last November with the orig firmware of the Panny (1.2?), and again during the summer with the latest firmware at the time (1.8).

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Just for kicks, I decided to do an A-B comparison with the BD and DVD last night, and the difference is pretty remarkable. The colors, sharpness and detail in the BD is much better than the DVD, which I thought was pretty good all these years. I know there were some who thought there was too much grain in this BD, but I invite those folks to do an A-B with the DVD if possible.

Sorry for the bump of this old thread. I just kind of decided on a whim to do this yesterday.

Heinz W

Second Unit
No worries Sam, I'm glad you bumped this thread. Despite having had a BD player for six months now I somehow missed CETK. Just rectified that this morning and am looking forward to seeing this great movie in HD when it arrives.

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
Man, I thought a new edition is coming out!

Edited by Sam Davatchi - 7/2/2009 at 12:35 am GMT

Brian Borst

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by Sam Favate

Just for kicks, I decided to do an A-B comparison with the BD and DVD last night, and the difference is pretty remarkable. The colors, sharpness and detail in the BD is much better than the DVD, which I thought was pretty good all these years. I know there were some who thought there was too much grain in this BD, but I invite those folks to do an A-B with the DVD if possible.

Sorry for the bump of this old thread. I just kind of decided on a whim to do this yesterday.
I agree. This is the third time I bought this title (and to think I didn't even like the film when I first saw it on television) and it's easily the most impressive version. It especially shines with the special effects, I think. In the first version the replaced skies were really noticeable, and a bit jarring as well. In the Ultimate dvd version they already looked much better, and in the Blu-Ray, they look really good. I'm also glad to lose the big VHS-like packaging of the dvd, and get a standard Blu-ray case instead. The only problem I have with it is that some of the subwoofer scenes are a bit too much for the neighbours :).

Heinz W

Second Unit
My copy arrived a few days ago and I watched the Director's Cut Thursday night. This is by far the best this movie has ever looked at home. It was better than I thought it would be, or could be. Fantastic!

It seems that films that have a lot of night scenes, like CETK, benefit the most from the clarity and stability of the Blu-ray image. I at least tend to notice the difference between Blu and DVD more in night scenes.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation199
Recent bookmarks